3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 7:43 PM by Barney-15E
BGmail Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

I am finding that when I click on a program in the dock, it does maximize.  The program is open as it has the 'dot' under the icon.  Would anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks and I look forward to you reply.

...Bruce

• Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (43,295 points)

Do you mean they don't activate? Maximize implies something that doesn't really happen at all in OS X.

If you mean activate, does the app become active, noted by the menu bar changing to relect the application's menus? If so, are the windows in another desktop?

• BGmail Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

Barney-15E wrote:

Do you mean they don't activate? Maximize implies something that doesn't really happen at all in OS X.

If you mean activate, does the app become active, noted by the menu bar changing to relect the application's menus? If so, are the windows in another desktop?

They are already running.  When I say 'maximize' what I mean is when I click on the dock icon(eg. Firefox)  the application does not display.  And yes the menu bar does change to the application(ie. Firefox) but the window does not display.

I do have multiple desktops but when clicking on Firefox would it not switch to desktop and then display Firefox window?

• Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (43,295 points)

There is an option in Mission Control preferences to change to a Desktop with an open window when switching Applications. Some Apps don't play well with Mission Control, but if it is all apps, then I would imagine something is amiss.

Here is where you set it to switch desktops:

Screen Shot 2012-09-07 at 9.41.11 PM.png