Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications do not maximize when click on dock.

I am finding that when I click on a program in the dock, it does maximize. The program is open as it has the 'dot' under the icon. Would anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks and I look forward to you reply.

...Bruce

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2017 12:51 AM

Found that this solution works for me:

macos - Clicking on Dock icon does not bring window on top (OS X Lion) - Super User

1. Click on your user account in Finder (the little house icon).
  2. Click Home/Library/Preferences.
  3. There should be a file named com.apple.dock.plist. Drag to your desktop.
  4. OSX should create a new plist file.
  5. Logoff just in case, since this seems to be a weird troubleshooting issue I've never seen before.
  6. If that didn't help, keep the old plist handy.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2017 12:51 AM in response to BGmail

Found that this solution works for me:

macos - Clicking on Dock icon does not bring window on top (OS X Lion) - Super User

1. Click on your user account in Finder (the little house icon).
  2. Click Home/Library/Preferences.
  3. There should be a file named com.apple.dock.plist. Drag to your desktop.
  4. OSX should create a new plist file.
  5. Logoff just in case, since this seems to be a weird troubleshooting issue I've never seen before.
  6. If that didn't help, keep the old plist handy.

Aug 14, 2017 4:29 AM in response to Barney-15E

It is 2017 and I'm still facing this issue. When an application is minimized it does not get activated (on any desktop) if I click on the app icon in the dock. When I click on it in the list of minimized application on the right hand side it does get activated. This only happens for some apps, if it is not a bug I fail to understand why the functionality isn't consistent.

Aug 14, 2017 3:42 PM in response to AbhayKalla

No idea what should happen, but if I was a developer and had multiple documents minimized, I would not randomly pick one document to bring to the forefront as I would have no idea which one the user wanted.

Even if you only have one document minimized, clicking the app icon only tells the app that you want it to be active. You may just want to create a new document.

Some apps may decide to activate the most recently hidden document. That is the guess that the developer chose to implement. I don't know why I would want the most recently hidden document to activate since I just hid it, but that may be what the developer decided to do.

The App should come to the forefront when you click on it. What you want to do with he app is then up to you. No guessing required.

So, when you pick a document to activate, it appears because you have told the app what you want to do beyond merely making the app frontmost.

If you disable minimizing documents to the App icon in Dock System Prefs, you will see each minimized document in the Dock and you can pick the desired document to activate.

Sep 7, 2012 7:10 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Do you mean they don't activate? Maximize implies something that doesn't really happen at all in OS X.

If you mean activate, does the app become active, noted by the menu bar changing to relect the application's menus? If so, are the windows in another desktop?

They are already running. When I say 'maximize' what I mean is when I click on the dock icon(eg. Firefox) the application does not display. And yes the menu bar does change to the application(ie. Firefox) but the window does not display.

I do have multiple desktops but when clicking on Firefox would it not switch to desktop and then display Firefox window?

Applications do not maximize when click on dock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.