Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just bought a Mac Mini i7. I have an old Mac mini (2009) My question is, does my new mini have two hard drives? There are two showing a Server HD and Macintosh HD2. If I have two, does the HD2 take over when the HD one is full?

I have just bought a Mac Mini i7. My question is, does my new mini have two hard drives? There are two showing a Server HD and Macintosh HD2. If I have two, does the HD2 take over when the HD one is full? The Server in Applications does not open a box informs me You cannot use version of the application "server" with this version of OS X. You have Server 1.4.3. Looking at about this mac it tells me I have Version 10.8.1 ,what does this mean please?

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 7:03 AM

1 reply

Sep 7, 2012 10:49 AM in response to NatsN

does my new mini have two hard drives?

Maybe - The Mac Mini Server comes with two hard drives by default. The non-server version of the Mini comes with one. You don't say which one you purchased. However:

There are two showing a Server HD and Macintosh HD2

That implies there are two hard drives, but it could also be one physical drive split into two logical partitions. Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app to confirm one way or another.

If I have two, does the HD2 take over when the HD one is full

Nope. Not at all. If you have two drives then it's up to you how to use them. You could opt to mirror the drives, so that data is written to both drives as a protection against failure, or you could use one drive as the OS drive and the other drive as data (e.g. media (videos, photos, etc.), user home directories, etc.). It's entirely up to you. However, if you opt to do nothing then the drive will sit forever idle.

The Server in Applications does not open a box informs me You cannot use version of the application "server" with this version of OS X.

That implies to me that you have Mac OS X, not Mac OS X Server. You can install Mac OS X Server via the App Store. Whether or not you need it depends on you and what you plan to do with this system.

I have just bought a Mac Mini i7. I have an old Mac mini (2009) My question is, does my new mini have two hard drives? There are two showing a Server HD and Macintosh HD2. If I have two, does the HD2 take over when the HD one is full?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.