Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the pop up with the message "Invalid certificate for s-static.ak.facebook.com"

Everytime I open a page in safari since a week ago, a pop up message appears "Invalid certificate for s-static.ak.facebook.com" or "Invalid certificate for facebook.com"

How do I stop it for good?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:35 AM

8 replies

Oct 23, 2012 10:13 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

That is definitely NOT the problem. I have a system with basically no bookmarks on it because I use a website with a static list of all my bookmarks that are ordered the way I like them AND I do not even visit Facebook.

The message I get is:

Safari can't verify the identity of the website

"static.ak.facebook.com"

The certificate for this website is invalid. You might be connecting to a website that is pretending to be "static.ak.facebook.com", which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the website anyway?

Show Certificate Cancel Continue

I seriously would appreciate it if people who had no idea of what they are talking about would desist from offering solutions they do not know will work.

Oct 23, 2012 10:29 PM in response to bruxxx

I had this issue too with my iphone5. I guess it might be caused I tried to copy a link from Google chrome / Safari (a photo link) to my buddies comment in the Facebook app Comment, when this started happening. I think it has something to do with integrating Facebook with other copied links or items. Try this out hopefully this helps because it seems to have stopped for me.

(Please note this was done with an iPhone)

--> Ensure no links/ or odd texts are currently set in your copy hold

--> in notepad type something and copy it (this will hold a non-glitch text?? )

--> log out of Facebook

--> close all browser apps ( Safari / Google chrome)

--> in settings clear history and clear cookies and data

--> close all apps (double tap home and [x] all the open programs)

--> reset/ turn off your phone

--> turn on your phone and open up a browser and try a website.

Hope this clears up the issue. Best of luck.

Oct 23, 2012 10:36 PM in response to lil_riceguy

If I had to guess I'd say the device has nothing to do with this, since it is happening on Macs and IOS devices. Try going to the site RSN.Com, Reader Supported News, which has a facebooks like button on it, and is the first place I noticed it.

I also get it on my iPhone as well as you did.

This is site specific I believe, and probably has something to do with Facebook tracking us all over the internet MFSOB Facebook! ;-)

Oct 23, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Tracker621

I just stopped having this problem. I went ahead and clicked on it. Nothing happened the same certificate thing popped up i clicked continue and it just reloads and repeats the process over and over. I had the problem on my ipad 1 and my late 06 imac (lion), my familys 2 iphones, ipod touch 3rd gen and 2nd gen. Didnt want the peoblem on my macbook so i didnt turn it on... Anyway the problem all of a sudden vanished. the problem from my start was from msn.com. which has a facebook integraded like button on the top.

(i dont own all that tech its throughout my family)

In all,

Solution:

I deleated my local DNS cache from all units (fail)

Reset the browsers (fail)

Re installed flash (fail/ wouldnt let me)

Waited for it to stop (Sucess)

It seems to have worked, and im not joking. the solution fixed itself on my internet server (ATT)

How do I stop the pop up with the message "Invalid certificate for s-static.ak.facebook.com"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.