Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make iPhoto faster?

I need your help. I just got a brand new iMac but iPhoto is really slow! I read in some other threads that many have had this problem, but I can't find a solution. Someone said removing all "places" and "faces" helps, but I don't want to do this. I reallky think I should be able to use these things without iPhoto getting so slow, especially on a brand new Mac.

What can I do?

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), iPhoto 11

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:40 AM

12 replies

Sep 7, 2012 10:01 AM in response to BimboBoy

Update: I just removed all faces I had added and now iPhoto is a lot faster. But I'm very sad to have wasted a lot of time tagging people. Do you think Apple knows about this issue? Like I said in my first post, many people are having the exact same problem, but will there be an update? I mean, when buying a brand new Mac, I should be able to use all functions.

I'm very disappointed. 😟

Sep 10, 2012 5:39 AM in response to BimboBoy

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Apr 6, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Yer_Man

In response to Terrance:

Terence Devlin

Re: How to make iPhoto faster?

Sep 7, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to BimboBoy)

What's the history of this Library? Did you migrate if from another machine? Did you migrate other items too? It sounds to me like a corrupted cache was causing the slowness and trashing all your faces forced it to rebuild it. But there are other - less destructive - ways to do that.

I have a super high lagging and loading iPhoto library as well. It was copied off a G4 tiBook, moved to a Mac mini and has been imported to through many cameras, downloads from drop box, iPhone imports and photo stream imports. It is about 25K of photos (some modded and deleted) 120 plus gigs. Facial recognition and places data is also in there. Definitely some kind of corruption. You recommend backing it up and reindexing or rebuilding the file system? Any help would be appreciated.

How to make iPhoto faster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.