Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only half a photo will print from iPhoto

My Canon MP560 printer will only print half of a 4 x 6 photo (cropped from the original) from iphoto (8.1.2), EXCEPT if I select A4 size paper, when all the photo appears in the centre of the paper. With 4 x 6 paper on the printer and selected in settings, the printer sends half of the paper through, then prints the top half of the photo on the bottom half of the paper. I have tried all sorts of settings and tried printing via Preview with either the same result or getting nothing at all !! So far I have tried over 20 times to get the right result and am getting a little short tempered. Can anyone rescue me ?

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:24 AM

7 replies

Sep 7, 2012 11:11 AM in response to sbhabyn

Have you first cropped the photo to 4x6?

User uploaded file

Have you selected 4x6 borderless as the paper size in the iPhoto print window?

User uploaded file

Have you selected Borderless as the print size?

User uploaded file

If you've done all of that and still are getting a problem try this: make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

OT

Sep 7, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Not quite sure about the relevance of the aspect ratio. (Forgive me if I have not understood where you are going with that). My point was that the photo prints out "correctly" as a 4 x 6 when I load and tell the printer to use A4 paper, but when I use the 4 x 6 settings it just gives me (almost exactly) the top half (3 inches) of the photo. On the A4 paper it sits, nicely balanced in the centre of the paper. I know I can trim to size, but what a waste ! Hmmmmmm.

Sep 7, 2012 2:17 PM in response to sbhabyn

Almost any image will print correcty when printed on paper that is larger than the image itself. It's when you want to print that image on smaller paper that you must crop the image to the same size as the paper selected.

If the image is not the same aspec ratio as the paper stock printed on some of the image will be cropped out. That's just how printing works. One can not squeeze the pixels in an image that have a 1: 1.4 size ratio into a 4x6 print. There are too many pixels and some have to be cropped.

Sep 7, 2012 2:43 PM in response to Old Toad

I have cropped the original to 4 x 6 (edit, crop , constrain 4 x 6, apply, done). I have seen your suggested solution/fix (delete iPhoto preference file etc.) in several discussions when I was trying to solve my issue earlier in the day, and I will give it a go in the morning, and will report back ! Many thanks for the input.

Sep 8, 2012 2:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Sorry, Old Toad, but did all the re-setting of the preference folders and the cache, but all that resulted in is nothing printing at all. However, it will still print a perfect 4 x 6 on A4 if I set it to print on A4 paper.

This seems to be one of those problems which manifests itself occasionally, so is it a Canon problem with the printer drivers (which are up to date) or an Apple issue ? I see from other posts that other printers have the problem with 4 x 6 as well.

Only half a photo will print from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.