Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy HD 1080p videos only in itunes

I recently used a program called Snowfox video converter to convert all of my home videos (filmed in 1080p on panasonic hd camcorder) and converted them to H.264 (1920*1080) mp4 format. When I play the videos in itunes the videos are choppy and are constantly stopping and then catching up. However the sounds seems to be constant and never skips with the video. I know the videos are fine because when I play them in windows media player they work perfect. When I play the videos on my apple tv 3rd gen they work fine. I running windows 7 64bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely confused.

Time Capsule-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 12:26 PM

30 replies

Jul 3, 2017 4:56 PM in response to jagretzky02

I'm having the same issue. My playback is all choppy. I have a lot of shows in iTunes and I would like the watch them there... where I purchased them. I have live action shows and cartoons. The cartoons I don't have much of an issue with. It's the live actions shows. What is the issue? I just tried one live action show in QuickTime and it works. Still some choppiness, but not like iTunes. At least there it's more playable. I have the current version of iTunes.

Here's what I'm running:

Windows 8.1; AMD E2-2000 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics; 1.75 GHz; 64-bit processor; 4 GB RAM

Sep 13, 2012 3:54 PM in response to jagretzky02

Got the exact same problem, even tried a few more media players which all played them fine.

Is there a problem with the codec that's shipped with iTunes for windows and is there a way to change the codec used? This problem is sort of bugging me big time since it's playing perfectly everywhere else and I would very much prefer to use iTunes for everything, reason is that I rather use one media hub for everything so if iTunes cant do it then maybe it isnt the solution after all.

Have this problem when playing 1080p videos in iTunes as well as QuickTime Player, havent tried any 720p yet after buying a new computer so cant say if it's choppy as well.

Anyone managed to solve this or have any ideas or any idea how to replace the iTunes codec? I rather not move away from iTunes just because I cant play HD movies when I'm using Windows.

Sep 19, 2012 11:15 AM in response to henrik@me

Same issue here too, using itunes 10.7.0.21 telling me that my computer is too slow for playing the video file. This is certainly not the case because the video works in other players and my computer is more than capable of handling it.

GTX 680 Graphics card

Intel Core i5 3.4Ghz

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

Its a problem with iTunes

Nov 19, 2012 9:28 AM in response to jagretzky02

My desktop is a Intel 3930k OC 4.5Ghz, 32GB RAM, gtx 680 graphicsboard and it's lagging (computer is basicly idling when checking stats).

My MacBook Pro is a Core2duo 2.4Gz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 320M graphicsboard and no lag.

Definitely not about resources, still suspect it's the way the codecs working with acceleration but I'm in no way good at the nitty gritty of video acceleration or codecs. Still hoping for this to get fixed for windows so I can use iTunes for everything, thankfully I watch most things through the AppleTV but it's sort of annoying the times I do want to watch something on the computer or check something in a movie.

Nov 19, 2012 12:48 PM in response to henrik@me

My computer and most others having this issue has at least the mininum requirements that Apple requires, so i dont believe thats the issue. In my opinion i think it was the way that itunes was built for windows is poorly built when compared to the version for macs. Obviously, apple would rather you by a mac and run itunes then use a windows computer so maybe thats why macs dont have this issue. It seems the only fix that I can find is either to not use iTunes with windows to play videos which ***** cause both my computers are windows but I like using iTunes cause I have several other apple devices. On the other hand I have considered buying an iMac, not just for the purpose of a flawless iTunes but also because I love my apple products so I can only imagine how great an iMac is plus I have been totally disgusted with my last two HP's which are less than a few years old and I have had nothing but problems with them from day 1. Maybe I will wait and look into the new iMacs when they come out next month unless anybody can give me a good reason why not to besides the price!

Nov 30, 2012 3:29 AM in response to FXGL

The same here. Nothing has been fixed in the 11 version. The same mistakes as ever. Jerky HD videos and more. new happened. Itunes, the connection between ATV3 and Itunes not be sustained. After 15 min (my hibernate settings) of the PC goes into hibernation. The older versions Iunes understood the PC to stay awake as long as films or music is played.

Choppy HD 1080p videos only in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.