Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic (7th Generation) won't reset to factory settings...

Hi, I have a Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation). I had tried to sync it to my MacBook Pro, which the iPod was set up with, will not show up in iTunes. I will get an error message "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored because it could not be found." Then I'll get another error message "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod " Chris' Classic 160 iPod." Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings." When I go to "About this iPod" it shows that there are no songs, movies, photos, podcasts or contacts. There are four games loaded on the iPod. But, it shows 41.5 GB used and 107 GB free.

This is what I have done up to this point:

1. Disconnect and reconnect your iPod to iTunes, and then attempt to restore or update the iPod again. Also, I've tried other USB cords.
  2. Restart your computer and then attempt to restore or update the iPod again.
  3. Try connecting your iPod to a different USB port, and then attempt to restore or update the iPod again. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended. For Windows computers, refer to Identifying USB 2.0 ports on your computer for instructions.
  4. Remove any USB devices not manufactured by Apple that you have connected to your computer (it is not necessary to remove your keyboard or mouse). Then, attempt to restore or update the iPod again.
  5. Update to the latest version of iTunes, and then attempt to restore or update the iPod again.

How do I clear out that 41.5 GB from the iPod? What can I do to reset the factory settings on the iPod?

iPod classic

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:56 PM

5 replies

iPod Classic (7th Generation) won't reset to factory settings...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.