Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone to iCloud contacts not merging

I have 480 contacts on my iphone and on icloud.com I have 300 less. On my macbook air I also have the same contacts that I do on iCloud.com. I signed out of iCloud on my Macbook Air, Toggled contacts on my iPhone > keep contacts > Merge contacts and nothing changes in the cloud. Any ideas?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:41 PM

Make sure none of the 180 contacts that aren't syncing belong to any non-iCloud group such as "On My Mac" (iCloud will not sync non-iCloud groups).

43 replies

Sep 7, 2012 6:06 PM in response to randers4

Ok got that. It is syncing only the group iCloud but it will not sync all contacts. Do I need to move all the contacts into the iCloud group and if so how do I go about it? The non syncing contacts aren't in a specific group but in the root at "All Contacts". Also on address book the only contacts that are there are the contacts in the sub group iCloud but the groups menu only shows an "All Contacts" group in the list.

Sep 7, 2012 6:14 PM in response to flip42

I don't believe you can do this on your phone. You would need to get your contacts on your Mac, where they can be dragged and dropped between groups. You could try and app like My Contacts Backup to email your iphone contacts to your Mac, where you can double-click on the attachment to import them to Address Book (or Contacts if you're running Mountain Lion).

Sep 7, 2012 6:33 PM in response to flip42

You're welcome. If you make sure you have the iCloud group selected before adding the contact it should sync via iCloud without any issues. Also, if all your contacts are now on your Mac, drag all your contacts to the iCloud group and they should sync to your iPhone. Then you can just leave the iCloud group selected on your iPhone and you'll see all your contacts there without selecint the All Contacts group.

Jan 22, 2013 6:53 PM in response to npr12

You would need to first use iTunes to sync the app to your iPhone. Then use the app to back up your contacts. It will create a vCard (.csv file) as an attachment to an email that you send to yourself. Open the email and double-click on the attachment to import the contacts to your Mac.

The app will back up all your contacts so when you import them to your Mac you may end up with duplicates. If this occurs, open Address Book (Contacts if you're running Mountain Lion) and go to Card>Look For Duplicates, then merge any duplicates that are found. I'm not sure it will maintain the original contact groups but it should import the contacts belonging to the groups. i.e., you may have to re-create your groups, then drag and drop the appropriate contacts into the "non-iCloud" groups that you are trying to recover.

Jan 22, 2013 7:34 PM in response to npr12

The My Contacts Backup Pro app (available as an in-app purchase) has the ability to find and delete identical contacts. Or, if you aren't syncing your contacts with iCloud, you can replace the contacts on your phone with the contacts on your computer using iTunes. If you want to go that route I'll tell you how.

iPhone to iCloud contacts not merging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.