Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the Finder in Mountain Lion take over 50% of my RAM?

On a supported MacBook Air, Mountain Lion takes up over 50% of the available RAM accounding to every app and even the activity monitor. I only have enough RAM to open one app at a time. Open another and I've run out of memory and the entire Mac freezes up.

!0.6 and 10.7 didn't have this problem, only Mountain Lion does. Anyone else see this problem or have a solution?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:21 PM

2 replies

Sep 7, 2012 6:57 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

No, that made things worse. Now the MacBook Air is frozen completely in Safe Mode. I had to hold down the power button until I shut down hard. Bringing it back up in normal mode, now there's under 200M of RAM left, a fraction of what was available. I can't even open Safari, it keeps running out of memory.

Never had this problem with Snow Leopard and Lion. I opened the App Store where both versions of the operating system are and tried to load each. Neither one would load to let me downgrade. I paid for them, how come I can't use them?!

Apple's gone to **** since Steve Jobs passed away. I've been a Loyal Apple user for 8 years now and ever since Jobs' passed away, nothing is working right with the latest upgrades. I'm ready to install Ubuntu on every Mac in the house.

Why does the Finder in Mountain Lion take over 50% of my RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.