Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Messes up my Display

Ok, so ever since I installed Mountain Lion, things like this are happening. Today, it was just when I did a screen shot via selecting an area. The other day it was when I plugged in an external display via my Thunderbolt Port. I've also noticed that when scrolling in mail or other programs, the area being scrolled jumps around but won't actually scroll correctly. This seems to happen when I bring my computer back from being asleep and then plugging in my external monitor. Apple, please fix this. At this point, I've had several problems with Mountain Lion and I'm telling my family and friends not to upgrade. I guess you get what you pay for on this one.

Since I marked this as a question. Is there something I'm doing wrong with my display prefs?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), with Win XP in Parallels

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:58 PM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2013 6:02 AM in response to lobsterman1705

I'm running 10.8.2 and this just happened last week (end of January, 2013). I took a picture of my screen at it looked very much the same as your screenshot.

User uploaded file

I was able to "recover" from the situation by keeping the external monitor attached, closing the "lid"/display of my

MacBookPro8,2, waiting for all windows to settle onto the external monitor, and then re-opening the laptop.

I'm not at all happy or satisfied with that result, but it seems to take care of it.

Feb 4, 2013 7:06 AM in response to Russa

No firmware changes on my part. I was having other issues with scrolling in Mail.app that cropped up today.

I tried a suggestion that I found here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1430454

I went to System Preferences -> Displays and switched the laptop to a different resolution (which brought with it an adventure in seeing through screen gobbledy-gook) and then back to the full resolution capability of the LCD panel.

The mail scrolling issues went away and maybe this step lets someone track down what is going on.

As far as I know...

• workaround for gobbledy-gook on laptop display: close and re-open lid
  • scrolling issue with Mail.app recovers after switching display resolution

Maybe they're related, maybe not.

Mountain Lion Messes up my Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.