Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to Group chat using AIM under Messages

Is anyone else having a problem using the group chat function in Messages. My friend said that everytime she sent the invitiation, it said that group chat was not supported by this client. I had problems in the past with Trillium when I first switched to my iMac, so I added a new AIM account to chat. Tonight was my first time trying to participate in a group chat since I upgraded to Mountain Lion and Messages.. I couldn't find any settings that could be causing this. I also tried to use the stand alone version of AIM, and it still did not work. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mail

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:24 PM

6 replies

Sep 8, 2012 1:32 PM in response to kathyfromliverpool

HI,

The AIM Client may have failed to log you in if you are using an iCloud issued @me.com name

This is because Apple have set up iChat 6 and Messages to do a login to Me.com as well as AIM and this then allows the AIM server ot "See" the password.

Older version of iChat and the stand alone AIM for Mac app (and AIM Express) Logins cannot do this dual Login.

In Messages I did it this way.

Go to File Menu > Go to Chat room

Create a Name for the room

Hit Enter (After making sure it is Sending from the right account if you have more than one)

In the Messages main window a Chat with the name of the room Appears

Drag Buddies from your Buddy list to the Name of the Chat room

It will gain a white outline that the name you are dragging will get the green Add icon

Let go of Buddy

They will be added to the room and you get the Invite Message Dialogue box.

The Buddy Pic for the chat becomes stacked with the people involved.

At this point as I was testing as I typed I got Error messages saying the invites could not be sent.

I would estimate a couple of minutes went past (I was using other Screen Names also logging in with Messages on the same computer)

I also notice that AIM have launched a service they call Blast which seems to be some form of group chat so it may be changing.

Jabber Accounts

This sometimes needs you to "register" with the group chat server your particular Jabber server runs (if they do) this often requires a third party app that can do Service Discovery.

User uploaded file
9:32 PM Saturday; September 8, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 8, 2012 7:48 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

It is not a me.com name. It is a separate AIM account I created for group chatting when I first switched to my iMac, since the mac version of trillium doesn't seem to support it (yet) and I couldn't remember the passwords for my other AIM accounts. It used to work under iChat, and last night was the first time I tried it since I updated to Mountain Lion and have Messages. Also I am not the one who initiates the chat, since I am usually late for the monthly chat with some online friends to plan out some of our online writing activities.

It also didn't work from the stand alone version of AIM that I downloaded last night.

I haven't changed any settings ( or hadn't until last night when I was trying various things) so I am not sure if I am having this problem based on a setting change that happened when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, but that seems like a strong possibility. Doesn't Mountain Lion have some new security based settings?

Sep 9, 2012 11:10 AM in response to kathyfromliverpool

Hi,

Mountain Lion does have some new security features but I don't think any of them effect Messages in this way.

In fact once you have the Buddy Lists showing Messages behaves the same way iChat does.

Today I went about this a different way and highlighted three of my other Screen Names and then clicked as if I was starting a group chat that way

The "To" spot listed all three Screen Names and I could send a IM

However the three names that appeared as the Buddies that appeared down the left hand side were different

They also showed the same Messages (as if it were syncing rather than being received

Again after a few minutes of testing and typing what I was seeing I got an Alert for Messages and again it said It could not deliver the Message/Invite.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

I will try over several computers.

User uploaded file
7:09 PM Sunday; September 9, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 9, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Using three different Screen Names on three different different computers I can do a group chat using AIM valid names.

I started on a computer with iChat 4 and invited a Screen Name on the iMac to a group chat (prelisted on the G4/iChat 4 computer)

That has the option to "Show the participants" - which has disappeared from the Messages > View Menu.

Once I had that Accepted on the iMac (it does pop up an Accept/Decline option buttons in Messages) I then called a Screen Name that is only on my MacBook Pro (iChat 5).

I then closed/ended the Chat on the iMac and went to the File Menu > Go to Chatroom and changed it to the account that had been in the chat and entered the room name I had started from on the G4 (iChat 4)

iChat 4 and 5 reported me as leaving the Group chat and coming back again. I also checked I could IM and that was delivered.

I tried inviting a second Screen Name that the iMac uses.

The Invite shows in the same Chat window but you cannot separate out which account is then making the reply.

i.e it does not show as a separate chat/Invite and then make it join the group chat you have going on.

The iChat 4 that did the Inviting shows the Buddy as being "Invited" but in Messages I have no way of Accepting.

The upshot of this is that Messages can join an Existing group chat using the File Menu > Go to Chat Room

The Account you are calling from may have to be changed in the drop item which is a drop down.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

Then you need to add the room name.

There is a definite issue if you want to use two Screen Names in the same chat.

User uploaded file
7:41 PM Sunday; September 9, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 13, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Meg4Roney

Hi,

This shouldn't apply to you in Mavericks but is there any chance some of the other people are using the types of Apple ID's mentioned in this Doc.

OS X: Using me.com or mac.com IDs with AIM in iChat requires OS X v10.7.2 or later

User uploaded file

7:58 pm Wednesday; August 13, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Unable to connect to Group chat using AIM under Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.