Skip navigation

Permanently remove item from Finder Sidebar

1073 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 4:32 PM by Scotch_Brawth RSS
Scotch_Brawth Level 3 Level 3 (800 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 8, 2012 1:21 AM

For some reason, one of my internal partitions constantly appears under Favourites.  I can remove it by command-dragging, or using the contextual Finder menu, but it comes back after every re-log.

Help?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (27,050 points)
    Sep 8, 2012 3:58 AM (in response to Scotch_Brawth)

Is it appearing under Favorites, or Devices? If the latter, that's normal, and there's no way to change that. As long as the partition is mounted, it should show up there.

If the former, you could try deleting the com.apple.finder.plist preference file. If you're not sure how to get to your preferences folder, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu and enter the following path:

~/Library/Preferences

Find the file in that folder, move it to the trash, then log out and back in, and see if the problem goes away. If the problem remains, you can always move that file out of the trash and back to where it belongs, replacing the newer file that was created automatically.

• Kevin Neal Level 2 Level 2 (475 points)
    Sep 8, 2012 5:22 AM (in response to Scotch_Brawth)

Click on "Finder" in the top menu, choose preferences, go to siderbar section and untick Devices > Hard disks

This will remove all hard drives from the sidebar though

• emolas Calculating status...
    Dec 30, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to Scotch_Brawth)

Similar problem for me (Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on late 2011 MacBook Pro). Forum gurus should know that this thread is the first of at least three looking for a solution to this vexing problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20738510?ac_cid=tw123456#20738510

Re: Can't delete item from sidebarand one I started:

<https://discussions.apple.com/message/20727591#20727591> .

No solution from anyone yet.

Two questions for Scotch_Brawth:

1) Did you ever try deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.finder as you wondered about several months ago?

2) Does the drive partition also pop up in the sidebar Favorites whenever any other disk (external, internal, or DMG) is mounted, as it does for me?

• emolas Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Jan 1, 2013 1:14 PM (in response to Scotch_Brawth)

Holy cow! You found the solution, Scotch_Brawth! I trashed the three files you list and logged out, then back in. The partition was still there. Bad news.

Then I realized I had not emptied the trash before I had logged out. So I removed the item from the Favorites again, deleted the three files, emptied the trash, then logged out and back in. The partition was gone. I held my breath while I attached a couple of external drives and opened several DMG files, while making a number of changes to the items I wanted on the sidebar (both additions and deletions). So far, all is good! Thank you so much for persisting. You made my day ... maybe my whole New Year!

emolas

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.