Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule "Data" Volume won't Mount

I've been using a Time Capsule (4th Gen/2TB) for both my rMBP Time Machine backups and as a NAS device. After upgrading to Mountain Lion, I've experienced some problems. For the past few weeks, my Time Machine backups have been frequently interrupted with an error message stating that my Backup Disk is non-journaled and non-extended, and to please choose an alternate disk. Although unsettling, after pressing return - and upon connecting the power cord (as I opted only to backup when using the power cord), Time Machine has always propmtly resumed. This has probably occurred daily.

Today however, I've been unable to actually mount the Data volume, although my network is functioning properly, and I can access the Internet. The Time Capsule status indicator is green, its icon appears in the Finder sidebar, and Airport Utility recognizes it and displays its correct settings. Upon trying to connect (via Finder), however, an error message states that the server (in this case, the Time Capsule, I guess) can't be located, and suggets I check my network settings and try again. Needless to say, the settings appear fine.

An admittedly brief search within this forum yielded no discussions concerning this specific problem, but I'm hoping the community's more knowledgable members will be able to at least provide some helpful insights, if not a solution to this problem.

The inability to back up my rMBP, access my spasebundle, or manage my externally stored files is very disconcerting. Any solutions, or insights regarding this issue will be gratefully received.

Michael Henke

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion, Time Capsule, iPad 3

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 1:35 AM

3 replies

Dec 24, 2012 9:04 PM in response to whaletail935

Same here too.

I traded in my first time capsule (2To) last september when I got a disk error within one week of initial setup. Since this was my first ever (and only) backup solution, I lost all the data that had not been duplicated at the time.

The replacement unit provided by the Apple Store started acting up in a similar fashion after only a couple of weeks (Wifi dropouts, disk unmounting, persistent forced reboot and plugging/unplugging of TC to re-establish connection). Since I couldn't believe that two separate units would suffer similar connectivity issues, I placed the fault on my settings, all the while observing that deactivating TimeMachine provided greater connection stability (i.e. running simultaneously iTunes and TM off the TC was a guaranteed connection drop, rendering the TC invisible until I proceeded with the unplug/replug strategy).

Things have gotten worse for me since upgrading to Mountain Lion (even though I made a clean install): I've had increasing difficulties running iTunes as my media library is obviously located on the TC.

Long story short, I'm desperately seeking a solution for what, at the time, seemed like ideal: both NAS and router in a single and simple enclosure. Unfortunately my patience has pretty much reached its limit after 4 months. I love my Apple gear... but the TC... I do not see myself recommending it in the future... Unless a final and permanent solution can be found.

Thank you (for letting me rant/vent)

iPhone4, MBP 13" mid-2011, AppleTV 2nd & 3rd gen, OS X ML, iOS 6... And dreaded TC (2to 2011?)

Dec 25, 2012 1:17 AM in response to HaPi76

There is clearly a bug in Lion that was exacerbated in Mountain Lion, which Apple is yet to fess up to. This loss of connection happens and there is no fix I can give you other than reboot to get the network running again.

I would strongly recommend against using the TC as a NAS.. it is designed as a backup target for Time Machine.

If you want a NAS then buy a true NAS, synology or Qnap, being the top products in that field. They have raid and automatic backup with units where you can access hard disks and can replace them. TC is a sealed unit without any way to back itself up. The design was never as a NAS.

Since your TC is an older one, can you try running 7.5.2 firmware. None of the TC made in the last year or more can go back that far.. they are all stuck on 7.6, the earlier Gen4 did have 7.5.2 which I think has better stability..

Now exactly what issues come up with ML I am not sure, but I would be interested to hear your experience.

Please do a backup particularly of your itunes before you start fiddling.

Is the TC main router in the network or is it bridged? I have a few suggestions for each type of setup, which may keep it running longer.. but nothing is absolute fix.

Note also the TC seems to be the main problem device.. but the OS does still have issues.. some changes were made with AFP security at Lion, which have not worked very well.

Time Capsule "Data" Volume won't Mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.