Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID Problem

I have a raid set-up on a 2009 Mac Pro. I use the raid primarily to store my Aperture library.

This morning the raid utility reported some apparently serious problems and my Aperture library is no longer available. I can no longer see the named volume in finder.

I have included some screen shots below as to what the raid utility is showing. Is anyone able to suggest what I can now do? Is the Apeture data lost?

Many thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro/PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 7:15 AM

6 replies

Sep 8, 2012 8:12 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks. Sorry I can't get the screen shots to work.

The message I got on the raid utility status is set out below:

Friday, 7 September 2012 2:50:20 AM Australian Western Standard TimeNon-viable RAID set RS2 and all associated volumes are offlinecritical
Friday, 7 September 2012 2:50:13 AM Australian Western Standard TimeDrive in bay 00:02 is not responding or has been removed from the systemwarning
Friday, 7 September 2012 2:50:13 AM Australian Western Standard TimeDrive 3:50014ee05692a177 missing - Replace immediately or acknowledge loss of RAID set RS2 and associated volumescritical

The RAID is made up of 4 drives/bays and each is 1TB. All drives are shown on raid utility as being SMART "verified" and Status "Good". They have green lights against all 4 of them.

The first drive is the boot disk and has all the apps etc. It is on its own volume and Raid set. That has a green light, the status of the raid set is "good" and the volume status is "good".

The second volume is now named "R2V1" and is still shown as being 3TB. Its status is "Not Viable", the associated raid set, "RS2" is shown as status - "Not Viable" and Bay 2 does not appear. However, bays 3 and 4 do appear and are shown as SMART "Verified" and Status - "Good".

Any help in saving my aperture data would be much appreciated. I am backed up til March 2012 but will lose a fair bit if I can't solve this.

Cheers.

Sep 8, 2012 9:01 AM in response to pgdono

RAID 0, striped RAID, provides some speed improvement for large file accesses by storing slices of large files on different drives and overlapping seeks on different drive to attain faster data access.

When anything goes wrong, there is no redundancy. The complexity of the Striping makes it near-impossible to recover portions of the underlying files from the damaged RAID.

The RAID drive structure must first be rebuilt, then the RAID data must be restored from its Backups.

RAID Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.