Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I keep getting a pop-upsaying "Keychain "login" cannot be found to store 4C717AFO-.... - Assistant Identifier" ?

The options are either Cancel or Reset to Defaults. After clicking on either one, another similar pop-up appears, this time saying 'Speech Identifier' in the end. These appear alternately. If cancel is clicked, the alert pops up again, which goes on about 6 times. If Reset to Defaults is clicked, it warns that passwords in Keychain will be deleted, and then asks for my password after 'Ok'. This also keeps going on for about 6 times. I could not find any help topics on this because it says "currently unavailable" n the help page. Can anyone please help me stop the annoying pop-ups?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 10:32 AM

20 replies

Sep 8, 2012 2:18 PM in response to JohnNovember

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then drag or copy the text — do not type it — into the Terminal window and press return:

ls -@AOTel Library/Keychains

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Sep 9, 2012 7:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis. What appears after the line you gave me in terminal is quite lengthy.:

"total 656

-r-------- 1 johnconrad staff - 0 Aug 9 18:04:06 2011 .fl0D1D1BA9

-r--r--r-- 1 johnconrad staff - 0 Aug 4 10:47:56 2011 .fl62323D2F

-r--r--r--@ 1 johnconrad staff - 0 Aug 25 02:19:58 2011 .flA6A9AF81

com.apple.quarantine 54

-rw-r--r--@ 1 johnconrad staff - 20460 Aug 25 02:19:59 2011 Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates

com.apple.quarantine 54

-rw-r--r--@ 1 johnconrad staff - 37144 Sep 10 10:19:29 2012 login.keychain

com.apple.quarantine 19

-rw-r--r--@ 1 johnconrad staff - 246236 Sep 8 21:05:17 2012 login_renamed.keychain

com.apple.quarantine 21

-rw------- 1 johnconrad staff - 23172 Sep 10 10:20:19 2012 metadata.keychain

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johnconrad$ total

I also tried doing repairing Keychain Access, as suggested in other threads, but the problem still persisted, but this time alerting that Mail (example) or assitantd is requesting for my login password. I noticed that this does not only happen in Safari, but even for mail and when I am about to shutdown and have closed all the windows or quit all active applications.

Thanks for helping me out.

Sep 9, 2012 8:25 PM in response to JohnNovember

The next time you have the problem, note the exact times when it starts and ends: hour, minute, second.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Post any messages timestamped during that interval – the text, please, not a screenshot.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

PLEASE DO NOT INDISCRIMINATELY DUMP THOUSANDS OF LINES FROM THE LOG INTO A MESSAGE. If you do that, I will not respond.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Sep 9, 2012 9:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi. It occured several times already since I started today. Here are two of the most recent incidents. from Console:

11:48:40 Mail:[<_LibSaslSASLClient: 0x7ff5542cb600> mechanism: PLAIN security layer: no} Failed to start the SASL connection SASL(-1): generic failure:

---the same message above appeared in Console is at 11:48:41, this time saying 0x7ff5539d3af0> instead of 0x7ff5542cb600? above.--

Then again it happend, and this appeared in Console:

12:06:19 PM WindowServer: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to Console, psn 0x0-0x8a08a, securitySessionID=0x186a6, err=-13066

Everytime it prompted for a password, I keyed in my password and the frame disappeared, only to come back sometime later.

Thanks for helping out. Yes, I edited the name that appeared on the log that I sent to you.

Sep 9, 2012 10:35 PM in response to JohnNovember

At some point, you reset your keychain to default in Keychain Access. That caused your login keychain to be renamed.

Back up all data.

In Keychain Access, delete the login keychain from the keychain list. Choose Delete References when prompted.

In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar, copy the text on the line below into the box that opens, and press return:

~/Library/Keychains

A folder will open. Rename the file "login.keychain" in that folder to something like "login-old.keychain". Rename the file "login-renamed.keychain" to "login.keychain".

Back in Keychain Access, select File > Add Keychain from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file you named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for every item transferred.

Sep 11, 2012 9:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc Davis and everyone, I got to enjoy two days of problem-free use of my macbook air, and suddenly the keychain alert reappeared. I do not remember anything out of the ordinary that transpired since I only really use this for surfing and doing MS Office documents. The message said: assitant would like to use "login" in your keychain. It has a cancel option and a space for password. I entered my password.

As soon as I did that, I opened console, and took note of the entry as follows:

11:31:42 AM WindowServer:

[cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to Safari, psn 0x0=0x6006, securitySessionID-=0x186a5, err=-13066

11:31:49 AM mdwrite:

[ERROR] [0.000S] com.apple. UBItemStatusNotification.c:805 _do_UBItemStatusNotificationRegisterURLs() can't find realpath for "users/johnmyname/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~system~spotlight/mdlabels", was blocked at "/Users/johnmyname/Library/Mobile Documents": 2 (No such file or directory)

The second one appeared twice, recorded at the same exact time.

I am not sure what caused it this time.

Sep 12, 2012 7:52 AM in response to JohnNovember

Back up all data.

Launch the Keychain Access application.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select Keychain Access Preferences First Aid. If the box labeled Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select Keychain Access Keychain First Aid from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM in response to Linc Davis

You just made my year Linc Davis and its January 1! I have been having the same issue for several months, and have searched high and low for a solution.

I resolved to to fix it one way or another, and have just spent the last 12 hours attempting to crate a new user and migrate my account. Easier said then done. I locked myself out of my account and ending up recovering with Time Machine. It went downhill from there - a loose cable to my external drive aborted my recovery after five hours (90%). Started over, and five hours later I was back to where I started.

I was about to wipe my machine and reinstall 10.8.2 - fortunately I saw your post and it worked like a charm!

Thanks and have a great 2013!

Best,

Albert

Sep 29, 2013 2:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Thanks for your response, this helped me maybe get started on some very very odd mac problems I'm having.

Do you find it odd that upon doing your recommended actions that I found that my login.keychain file had a little bird in the icon?

I don't mean to sound paranoid but that strikes me as a virus type thing (yes I know... I know, macs don't have viruses)...?

Or maybe this isn't that weird. What do you think? This is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

User uploaded file

Why do I keep getting a pop-upsaying "Keychain "login" cannot be found to store 4C717AFO-.... - Assistant Identifier" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.