Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reasonable price for Windows 7?

I see that the standard price for Windows 7 Premium is $199 (full version). But some retailers are selling copies for $80 or $90, which makes it much more tempting to try out Boot Camp.

Are such prices too good to be true--pirated or outdated versions? Or is this just standard price variation?

(I'm much more likely to give Boot Camp a whirl at sub-$100 prices than $200.)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), mid-2011 i5 iMac

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 1:10 PM

As to reasonable price ... shop around for best. Amazon usually has good prices (except for Snow Loepard disks that they are overcharging for).

There are two versions of "non-update" Windows: OEM and full-retail.

OEM has limited number of installs (3 different systems, I think) before you must beg forgiveness feom MS for too many installs. Full-reatil you can installon a new system everyday without issue.

Systems you buy from Dell or Acer have OEM disks, but they only have drivers for that specific system. Retail-OEM has complete set of hardwre drivers. microcenter.com sells retail-OEM.

I would buy 64-bit Pro, because 64-bit Pro uses 192 GB RAM while 64-bit Home only sees 16 GB RAM (future investment view).

Full-retail I beleieve comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks, but the 32-bit would be wasted money in my household.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2012 1:10 PM in response to CTS

As to reasonable price ... shop around for best. Amazon usually has good prices (except for Snow Loepard disks that they are overcharging for).

There are two versions of "non-update" Windows: OEM and full-retail.

OEM has limited number of installs (3 different systems, I think) before you must beg forgiveness feom MS for too many installs. Full-reatil you can installon a new system everyday without issue.

Systems you buy from Dell or Acer have OEM disks, but they only have drivers for that specific system. Retail-OEM has complete set of hardwre drivers. microcenter.com sells retail-OEM.

I would buy 64-bit Pro, because 64-bit Pro uses 192 GB RAM while 64-bit Home only sees 16 GB RAM (future investment view).

Full-retail I beleieve comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks, but the 32-bit would be wasted money in my household.

Sep 9, 2012 11:22 AM in response to steve359

Thanks. Can you clarify what you mean by a "limited number of installs"? I'd be using this only on my iMac, so it sounds like OEM would be fine. Would a clean re-install if something went wrong count against me--or just a reinstall if I bought a new iMac (or other computer lacking an OS)?

(Conversely, what extra rights does the full-retail version get you? I can't imagine you could install it on 100 computers in a small business, for example. Obviously, I'm a bit confused.)

192 GB ram is definitely forward looking!

Sep 9, 2012 11:30 AM in response to CTS

When the installed OS registers itself with Mother-Microsoft, it records the embedded serial numbers of certain key components (CPU, mainly). Install on a different CPU, and it is a new install. This is because OEM is really meant to save Dell and Gateway and Acer some $$ on an OS copy that is likely never to be installed on any other computer ever because of the technical expertise (or lack thereof) of the target market.

Only a few people actually buy full-device-driver OEM versions for install on multiple CPUs.

The extra rights of full-install is just that you can install that one copy on any number of successive CPUs without penatly. But each Windows 7 copy (thus license) can only be on one machine at a time, unless there is a special arrangement with MS.

Sep 9, 2012 12:44 PM in response to CTS

CTS wrote:

Thanks. Can you clarify what you mean by a "limited number of installs"? I'd be using this only on my iMac, so it sounds like OEM would be fine. Would a clean re-install if something went wrong count against me--or just a reinstall if I bought a new iMac (or other computer lacking an OS)?

(Conversely, what extra rights does the full-retail version get you? I can't imagine you could install it on 100 computers in a small business, for example. Obviously, I'm a bit confused.)

192 GB ram is definitely forward looking!

You get 1 install only before you're on the phone with MS, Win 7 Home supports a maxima of 16G, Win7 Professional supports 192G. (and costs more). Home also has some networking and remote connectivity limitations.

Reasonable price for Windows 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.