Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to transfer an old 15" MacBook Pro to a new MacBook?

Hello.

My client will be buying a new MacBook soon (don't know which model yet) from his university. We are currently researching and planning ahead to minimize problems and prepare. I noticed there are multiple ways to transfer data from his old 15" MacBook Pro to the new one. What's the best and fastest way?

We only need to (manually?) copy data (lots of documents, photographs/photos., etc.) and not the programs (better to start clean!). Also, will old Mac Office 2008 work in the latest Mac OS X version (assuming it comes with it or maybe 10.7.x) or will he need to buy a new one? He also uses an iPhone 4S and iPod Touch (music mostly).

Thank you in advance. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 Ghz; A1260 model; 15" size.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 2:01 PM

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

If you only need to transfer files then connect the two via Firewire cable and use Target Disk Mode to access the old computer's hard drive from which you can select and copy the data you need.

Office 2008 will work, but it would be better to upgrade it to Office 2011. If you want a seamless changeover with respect to the iDevices, then you need to transfer the entire /Home/Library/Music/iTunes/, /Home/Library/Music/iTunes Playlists/, /Home/Library/Music/imm Media/ folders to the /Music/ folder of the new computer. Also copy over the /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist file to the /Home/Library Preferences/ folder on the new computer.

Be sure you de-authorize the old computer: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization. Be sure to do this before any of the above is done.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2012 2:01 PM in response to antdude

If you only need to transfer files then connect the two via Firewire cable and use Target Disk Mode to access the old computer's hard drive from which you can select and copy the data you need.

Office 2008 will work, but it would be better to upgrade it to Office 2011. If you want a seamless changeover with respect to the iDevices, then you need to transfer the entire /Home/Library/Music/iTunes/, /Home/Library/Music/iTunes Playlists/, /Home/Library/Music/imm Media/ folders to the /Music/ folder of the new computer. Also copy over the /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist file to the /Home/Library Preferences/ folder on the new computer.

Be sure you de-authorize the old computer: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization. Be sure to do this before any of the above is done.

Sep 8, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Firewire, we don't have any of those cables and devices unless the new MacBook comes with it? It's all USB(2). Can we use USB (yes, it is slower)? He use it for digital cameras, Time Machine backups in Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc.

OK, I will tell my client to get a new Office 2011 then to avoid the mess. Hmm, can't we just synchronize our iDevices with iTunes to copy back to the new MacBook's new HDD?

Sep 8, 2012 2:22 PM in response to antdude

The new MBs have a Thunderbolt port and Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire (as well as a Thunderbolt to Ethernet) adaptor. But, no, it cannot be done via USB, only Firewire. You can, of course, use an external USB drive as a transfer medium - old to EHD then EHD to new. It's faster than any network connection.

You cannot simply sync your iDevices. Syncing is basically uni-directional: computer to iDevice. If there is no iTunes Library then iTunes will end up removing everything on the iDevices and replacing it with what's in the extant iTunes Library: nothing. That is not your desired result.

EDIT:

iTunes- Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

iTunes- How to move the library to an EHD

iTunes- How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Sep 8, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

The new MBs have a Thunderbolt port and Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire (as well as a Thunderbolt to Ethernet) adaptor. But, no, it cannot be done via USB, only Firewire. You can, of course, use an external USB drive as a transfer medium - old to EHD then EHD to new. It's faster than any network connection.

You cannot simply sync your iDevices. Syncing is basically uni-directional: computer to iDevice. If there is no iTunes Library then iTunes will end up removing everything on the iDevices and replacing it with what's in the extant iTunes Library: nothing. That is not your desired result.

Oh geez, this is getting complex now. 😟

Sep 8, 2012 2:33 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Not that complex. It's all pretty easy to do, if all goes well. Transferring data from an old computer to a new one is always like this.

How much does that cable cost? I assume Apple's price will be higher. Maybe I can get one from Amazon or somewhere cheaper. Prices are piling up already with new Office 2011, MacBook, and now a cable. 😟

Sep 9, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

I was told that one could do direct network CAT5 cable between two MacBooks like the old days with the crosswired network cables. Shouldn't this be faster than USB2 with external HD method? It would be cheaper too (no need to buy additional stuff!).

Sep 9, 2012 3:24 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Ethernet will not be faster than USB, although it comes close. Furthermore, it's not as reliable as using disk drives. That's my opinion. I would also say that having an extra HDD for backup isn't all that bad.

Oh. Well, I know my client uses his external Seagate 2.5" 500 GB HDD to do weekly backups with Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine for a few years. I am thinking of making a last Time Machine backup. Then, hook up the new MacBook to the old 2008's 15" MBP with a CAT5 network cable, boot it up, and do the migration.

Sep 9, 2012 3:33 PM in response to antdude

I've never done a network migration, so I've no useful help other than:

Apple products that require an Ethernet crossover cable

Creating a small Ethernet network

MacBook Air- Cannot select Ethernet during Setup Assistant

I think your best bet is to connect to an existing network router's spare LAN port rather than trying to do a direct connection. This can work for doing a Time Machine migration. However, it cannot be used to install OS X.

Sep 12, 2012 10:15 AM in response to antdude

Hi again.

Someone told me that I should do the set up assistant instead of migration set up instead. I don't want to migrate my data right away after turning on the new MacBook. Does it have to be immediately? Can't I just migrate later after ensuring the new MacBook works great?

I am planning to do a direct network cat5 cable method since it is the fastest and stable. However, the newer MacBooks don't come with network ports so I will have to get an adapter. I'd like to get an USB one, so I can reuse it with other computers that don't have Thunderbolt ports especially on non-Apple devices (Windows and Linux). Does anyone know if one exists or can I use Apple's?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Sep 12, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

To use the Setup Assistant you must do it at that time. Thereafter, you use Migration Assistant. They are the same utilities, just a different procedure.

You can use Apple's USB-Ethernet or Thunderbolt-Ethernet adaptor, whichever is appropriate for your model.

So I don't have to do Setup Asssistant right away to migrate my data like someone else said in the newsgroup. Thanks God! 🙂

As for the adapter, can I use USB one on non-Apple devices? I know USB is everywhere, but Thunderbolt appears to be only with newer Apple machines.

Sep 12, 2012 6:24 PM in response to antdude

No, but it is easier because you need not worry about migrating an inaccessible user account. Just be sure that the admin account you create initially has a different username than the account you will eventually migrate.

I just checked the specs for the MacBooks and they all have a built-in Ethernet port.

What's the best way to transfer an old 15" MacBook Pro to a new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.