Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to organize my photo's better

ℹ😕 I have started to make folders in the location where my photos are and moving them there. But then there is the tiny issue with iPhoto. I can't create new folders without it messing up my events. My events are what I turn into folders. I do not have my photos copied because it's like double the size being taken up.

Is there a way to take my events and make folders in iPhoto or some way so I don't spend every day going thru trying to find loose pics that belong in a certain folder that is new to the event. I'm in the midst of moving pics and using a program to find duplicates since it says I have 125,000 + photos, and I know I don't.

Then it's on to iTunes after this one

Does that make sense?? ℹ 😕

Please Help,

Thanks,

Brooke

iPhoto '11

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 4:31 PM

Frankly I have no idea what you are doing or what is going on

A couple of notes

1. It is strongly NOT recommended to uncheck the preference to copy photos to the iPhoto library. It does not save space at all and has no advantages and many, many disadvantages

2. It is not clear what you are doing but remember that you only organize using iPhoto. You never make changes using the finder

3. Folders in iPhoto do not hold photos. They only hold other folders or albums.

4. For duplicates duplicate annilhator is a good solution. But again this is all done in iPhoto. Nothing is done in the finder

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Rxbcbailey

Frankly I have no idea what you are doing or what is going on

A couple of notes

1. It is strongly NOT recommended to uncheck the preference to copy photos to the iPhoto library. It does not save space at all and has no advantages and many, many disadvantages

2. It is not clear what you are doing but remember that you only organize using iPhoto. You never make changes using the finder

3. Folders in iPhoto do not hold photos. They only hold other folders or albums.

4. For duplicates duplicate annilhator is a good solution. But again this is all done in iPhoto. Nothing is done in the finder

LN

Sep 8, 2012 5:18 PM in response to Rxbcbailey

Having the iPhoto library on an external drive is fine and no problem. The problem comes is you uncheck toe preference to copy imported items to the iPhoto library which you appeared to say in your first post

" I do not have my photos copied because it's like double the size being taken up "

That is not a good idea

As to organizing. Use albums and folders. Not events

LN

I need to organize my photo's better

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.