Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound output to airplay device time out...

I have selected airplay speakers as my prefered sound output so I can stream real time audio to speakers connected to my airport express. There is no problem in playing audio via itunes as the airplay speakers / airport express is alway selectable, however I can only select other audio sources to play (spotify, BBC iplayer...) through the airplay port after a computer restart, once the computer (macbook pro - running mountain lion 10.8.1) goes to sleep and wakes up the airplay audio output is no longer selectable. Its a bit of a hassel to have to re-start the laptop everytime to select the audio output option. Obviously a software glitch!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), airport express 2nd gen

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 5:18 PM

1 reply

May 14, 2014 1:29 AM in response to nzQuinny

I have the same problem. Freakin annoying. I attempt to select an AirPlay device and it deselects it with no error or indication why. One thing I hate about Macs, always hide things from you.

When I restart my computer all works again.

Airplay from iTunes does work however. Must be a sound card driver issue or something.

Sound output to airplay device time out...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.