Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the printer settings to always return to default or standard after printing?

I've had this problem for many years and am finally trying to find a fix. 99% of the time I use the "standard" printer settings when printing documents. On occasion I will use "fast draft" or a higher quality photo setting. Once I do this, from that point on, every time I go to print something it will have that different selection pre-chosen and I need to remember to switch back to the standard setting before I print again. Of course after that it will start coming up with the standard setting pre-chosen every time, but it seems to me that the settings should always default back to standard after I close a printing session. It even keeps the new setting after logging out or restarting the computer. If I don't print again for a while I'll sometimes forget that I've changed it and waste paper and ink when it prints with the wrong setting. There must be some way to make the printer dialogue always open with the "standard" setting pre-chosen even if it wasn't the last setting used. I see that there actually is a selection for "Last Used Settings" but this seems pointless since the print dialogue always opens with the last used settings no matter what.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 7:52 PM

1 reply

Sep 9, 2012 12:55 PM in response to Schmactor

Each app retains the last settings in it's print dialog box. There's more to Last Used Settings than just which print mode to use. It also returns all the page layout, copies, pages, and page order, for example that you used. AFAIK, there's no easy way to get the defaults, so you'll just have to remember or don't hit CMD+P, then return or enter. Just CMD+P and review the current settings.

How do I get the printer settings to always return to default or standard after printing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.