7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 2:16 AM by Bousque
Bousque Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hello all, another new ID required to get around a problem that has dogged my IDs for ages.  After a while, when I log in I get directed to a page that says the Forums are being upgraded and will be back shortly.  Well they are not and will not be, as this page is retained for as long as I use that ID.

Having successfully, for now, logged in with the new ID I don't want to go and find the exact URL, but that is a fair description of the page I was getting before.

I have tried emptying cache, clearly history, clearing cookies, everything. 

Any ideas how this can be avoided, is there something I'm likely to be doing wrong to make this happen?

Thanks

Stephen

aka (for now)

Bousque

Powerbook G4, iOS 4.1
  • Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,245 points)

I think only the Hosts can deal with this and I will ask them to look at your post.

• Bousque Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

That's very kind of you ... who are these mysterious Hosts...?

The people who run these Discussions - the equivalent position in other forums is often called Moderators - they are resonsible for dealing with technical issues, and for monitoring the forums for posts which breach the Terms of Use. You can report posts to them from Level 2 (150 points) or get more direct contact from Level 6 (8,000 points).

I see ... well I would imagine that I'm not the only one to whom this has happened, and many folks would not bother to make another email address and go through the whole process again (or in my case, make another alias to the original address to which this happened) which is far from good for the brand etc etc.  I'm sure its some kind of silly bug that should be easily fixed, but also indicates the need for being able to delete and ID based on a particular address, then starting again.

PS - if anybody really wants me to try to log in with an old alias and get the 'tempaway' url details that would be possible, but it would help to have an email address to send it to in case for some reason I can't log back in again under this current ID.

You need to have a working email address associated with your current ID so that you can be contacted. The 'tempaway' URL is standard and is normallly used when the forums are down for maintenance. I have seen it appear briefly for no apparent reason but it obviously it shouldn't be locking you out. As I say, only the Hosts can sort this one - all I can do is pass it on to them and I've done that.

Yes that's what the address is for, though using an alias also works because I can click on the link within the email just as well.  In case the Hosts think that its an issue of using an Alias, I can simply say that it also happened with my 'real' address as well.

Interesting you've seen it briefly as well, all I can say is that for me it remained permanently, and spreads from ID to ID.

Thanks for passing it on to them!