Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to my network wifi since mountain lion, help!!!

Hello, I have a macbook pro 17 "unibody late 2011 and I recently installed mountain lion, it is updated. Whenever I connect to my wireless network, airport displays the message" none of your preferred networks are available ", it offers a list of wireless networks nearby, when I select mine, it shows" can not connect, connection timed out. "

Then I go through the diagnostic tool in Network Preferences, I select mine, I enter my password, and then it connects and everything works ! The problem is that I have to repeat the procedure every time I restart the wi-fi, although I ticked the box "remember this network" ..... Aaaaaah!

One last thing: I connect without any problem to other wi-fi networks and connect my iPhone 3gs perfectly to my network (the one causing problems with the macbook pro).

All of this information makes me believe that the problem comes from Mountain Lion.

Thank you for your help!

Benoit Manil

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 10:49 AM

8 replies

Sep 9, 2012 11:02 AM in response to manilben

Pull Mac HD > Library > Preferances > SystemConfiguration

Just put it on your desktop at first, you will need an admin password.

shut down the machine

Reset the SMC by holding down Shift + Ctrl + Option + the power button for about 15 seconds with it shut down (and plugged in).

Reset pRAM by holding down Cammand + Option + P + R immediately after hitting the power button and keeping them held down until the machine does its startup noise two times, then let off.

let the computer start up like normal.

once your on your home screen reconnect to your network and see if its working any better.

at this point you can trash the SystemConfiguration folder that is on your desktop.

Sep 9, 2012 1:19 PM in response to manilben

Hi, thanks for your response! Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem...I did what you told me, during the reset of the smc, is it normal that I didn't see nor hear anything while and after I did it? During the second reset (pram), I heard the starting sound and it rebooted twice.

Since it didn't solve the problem, I put the folder back from the desktop to the library.

Any other idea? (Did I miss something for the smc reset?)

Sep 9, 2012 1:39 PM in response to manilben

ya the computer staying completely black during the SMC is normal

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

as far as the systemconfiguration file you dont want to put it back. once you pull it and restart the computer it should rebuild a new folder in its place with the factory defaults

or you can leave it in place Mac HD > Library > Preferances > SystemConfiguration and just rename it to systemconfiguration.old then restart the computer.

have you power cycled the model and or router?

Sep 9, 2012 2:04 PM in response to StephenParsons

Ok I'm gonna try this. Concerning your previous post, I did leave de systemconfig folder in it's place and rename it as you suggested, but after rebooting, there was no new "systemconfiguration" folder created.

As for the power cycling question, i'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean (i'm a french speaking guy, but from belgium hey, not france 😉), can you try to explain me?

Sep 9, 2012 2:13 PM in response to manilben

sometimes its different based your particular network setup but,

unplug the modem and the router for a couple of minutes from their power sources then first plug the modem back in (the one you got from your Internet service provider) if you have a separate router plug that in second, once the lights on the modem fill up back to normal. as soon as the lights on the router fill up as well and it looks like it is back online try reconnecting to your network.

Can't connect to my network wifi since mountain lion, help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.