Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer iphoto (library) to a PC?

I have 112 GB of photos/videos in iphoto. 179 events, 14, 637 pics.

What is the proper way to transfer those pics/video to a computer?

I have backed up on a HD to find out that their is no cross compatability.

I have burned several DVDs to which I have been able to transfer some pics but it takes for ever but having a problem with same fie names among loosing pics intermittentaly.

Any suggestions and directions are appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:36 AM

You can't transfer an iPhoto Library to a Windows or Linux based machine. These Oses have no way to understand this library.

What you can do is export from iPhoto to folders on the desktop and then copy those to the other machine. You do this using the File -> export command.

Regards

TD

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2012 11:36 AM in response to LCPL67

You can't transfer an iPhoto Library to a Windows or Linux based machine. These Oses have no way to understand this library.

What you can do is export from iPhoto to folders on the desktop and then copy those to the other machine. You do this using the File -> export command.

Regards

TD

Nov 28, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Liasgraham

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Dec 3, 2013 1:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your reply, how silly of me. i have asked for help before and i should have thrown down some specs.

i am running on an Imac running osx10.6.8 i recently upgraded so that my wife could plug in her iphone5. the version of iphoto is iPhoto 08 version 7.1.5 (378) <-- im assuming thats a build number of some sort....

i would really like to preserve the event structure.... it would be rediculous to loose the event structure when im looking at 24068 pictures in 1015 events....

the only issue is how do i go about getting the "I" out of my photos. i want to simply transfer them to an external hard drive but it wont let me simply copy them... and apparently i can only export 60 photos at a time.

Dec 3, 2013 3:30 PM in response to Liasgraham

I've no idea why it's limiting you to 60 as there is no such limit on any version. As you're on iPhoto 08 there export field would require you to export one Event at a time to an appropriately named folder. (The capability to export the lot to named folders arrives with iPhoto 11.)

But all is not lost. There are a couple of apps that might help. iPhoto2Disk or PhotoShare will help you export to a Folder tree matching your Events

See how you get on with those. If you're still limited to 60 I would suspect that you have a damaged Library.

How do I transfer iphoto (library) to a PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.