Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This didn't help my problem at all!

After upgrading from OS 10.6.8 to 10.8 about a month or so ago I still was able to use Safari as I always had.

But in the last week or so all of a sudden I cannot go to www.adobe.com, for instance using Safari 6.0!!!!!!!!

I can get there just fine on my iPad and iPhone.

But, I relied heavily on Safari when using my iMac.

H E L P

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 6 GB of RAM

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:44 AM

7 replies

Sep 9, 2012 1:03 PM in response to Mr Pixel

Try a different DNS server ...

Quit Safari.

Open System Preferences / Preferences then select the Network tab. Click the Advanced tab then click the DNS tab.

Click +

Enter these addresses exactly as you see them here.

Click +

Then click OK.

Relaunch Safari and try accessing www.adobe.com

If that doesn't help, from your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data (removes cookies). Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Anti virus software or apps such as Little Snitch or Net Nanny can prevent access to websites.

Sep 9, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Mr Pixel

This usually happens because you modified the hosts file in order to block Adobe's activation servers so you could use pirated software.

By far the easiest way to fix the hosts file is to restore it from a Time Machine (or other) backup that predates the modification. If that's not possible, then do as below. Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. Before proceeding, you must be sure you can restore your system to the state it’s in now.

These instructions must be carried out in an administrator account, if you have more than one user account.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Copy or drag — do not type — the line of text below into the Terminal window, then press return:

open /etc/hosts

A TextEdit window should open. At the top of the window, you should see something like this:

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1 localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1 localhost

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Below that, you'll see some other lines. There should be nothing before the first line above. Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the document. In OS X 10.7 or later, scroll bars are hidden by default until you actually start scrolling, so you may not realize that you’re not seeing the whole document.

If the contents of the TextEdit window are as described, close it, then enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before; i.e., without typing:

sed '/lo0/q' !$ > Desktop/hosts

You should now have a file named "hosts" on your Desktop. Double-click the file to open it in TextEdit, and verify that it has only the contents shown above, with any extra lines removed. If so, close the window without making any changes.

Next, go back to the Terminal window and enter one final command, again without typing:

sudo sh -c 'cat Desktop/hosts > /etc/hosts'

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. Confirm. Quit Terminal.

Do not type anything in the Terminal window except your password.

That will fix the hosts file. You can now delete the file that was created on your Desktop.

This didn't help my problem at all!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.