Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Send email from Finder with Thunderbird or Outlook

New Mac user with an MBPro/RD and Mountain Lion.

I use Thunderbird as my primary email client and find that my options to send emails from Finder, Preview, and other applications are severely limited. Thunderbird (or Outlook, which I also have installed) do not show as options under right-click/Share or App/Services. I have looked at other threads and tried dragging messaages from Finder to the mail applications in the Dock but that does not work, either. Safari does show Thunderbird as a share option along with four other choices, which is good. Office 2011 applications have File --> Share --> email attachment/link grayed out as well.

Apple tech support says that this is the way it is supposed to be - Apple Mail or bust. I am hoping there's a better answer out there.

Suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:26 AM

found this below.. tried it and it worked for me.. so far no probs.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=606918

3 replies

Jan 2, 2013 11:36 AM in response to edwintay

Thanks for this. It works well for creating a new email when one file is selected as an attachment. As the bug thread pointed out, it opens up a separate message for each file in a multi-select. Now that I know about Automator, I will see if I can implement something similar for multi-selects.

Interestingly, something like this has to be done for MS Outlook as well. Frustrating that integration with well-known third-party software isn't built into the OS.

Send email from Finder with Thunderbird or Outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.