Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 8:23 AM by vazandrew
Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Greetings.

I am running an Apple TV2 with the latest software (5.0.2) installed.

Recently I am not being presented with a 'Rent' option on some films - actually, quite a lot of films. The Preview, Wish List and More options are all available but not Rent.

I have my resolution set to Standard Definition.

I have tried changing it to HD to see if that altered the situation, but alas...

I am aware that the ATV3 plays 1080 HD content and am wondering if the store content has been upgraded to 1080 and is subsequently off-limits to ATV1 & 2?

Any light that you guys can cast on the issue would be greatly appreciated

AppleTV 2
  • vazandrew Level 6 (17,981 points)

Is there a purchase option? When you view one of these films on iTunes does it offer a rent option?

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Wow - that was quick!

No purchase option offered, then again, there never was. ( based in Ireland)

I have not checked to see if I can rent on iTunes.

Usually this means that the movie is no longer available for rent, which can be verified by checking in iTunes.

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Just checked - the movies in question are available to buy on iTunes, but not to rent.

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Just as a for instance, The Hunger Games is not available to rent. Also, looking about, older releases such as District 9, Gattaca, Blade Runner are unavailable too.

Yes, so that would be the reason then as I suspected. All locations will have different availability as well

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Oh :( how come all the films listed were rentable up to recently?

It's due to the agreements with the movie studios.

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Have some of these agreements changed recently? I have noticed that some movies I have rented in the recent past are no longer giving me a rent option (6 out of the last 8 movies I rented!) and that some others are absolutely gone off the store.

• WineLife Level 1 (20 points)

As noted above, the sale and rental terms are contractual arrangement made by the studios and distribution companies. Sometimes these arrangement are effected by local laws. Thus, every Apple digital sites (e.g., USA, France, UK) will have different movie accessibility. For instance, here in France some US english language movies are only available in english, others are only available dubbed in french, and still others are available in multiple languages. So, one would do well to rent or buy the desired media when it becomes available in your region because rental/purchase access to the media could change.

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Surely if this is the case, films that are unavailable to me on the Apple rental service would also be unavailable to me on my Netflix subscription? Looking across from one to another, I can immediately see some contradictions.

I do not doubt the information that you are providing me. It is just that I find it incredible that the service has so suddenly become so inadequate.

• Nwo Level 1 (0 points)

Lads - thanks for your input.

For any other Irish folk who are experiencing similar woes, the issue seems to affect primarily Lionsgate productions, a large proportion of Sony releases, some Columbia releases and all the Disney productions that I have checked, along with some of the smaller production houses.

I cannot see why Apple choose to present us with films that they do not allow us to rent - only serves to annoy...

Netflix is a separate service and they have their own agreements. The films that do appear are still available in the store for purchase. Those locations that have movies in the cloud will see the purchase option.

• Neya40401 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi NWO, I am having this exact same problem, It is totally stupid to be advertising movies that are clearly unavailable. And as each iTunes is individually managed per country, i dont see why this should happen... A movie unavailable in Ireland, should not be advertised as available. I have contacted iTunes support about this also, and i expect to recieve an email saying sorry, have a free rental... (which would more than likely annoy me more as i cant rent what i want to!!)

Previous 1 2 Next