Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will an Apple wireless keyboard pair with an iPad2?

Is an Apple wireless keyboard designed to pair with an iPad 2? The instruction book refers to a Mac computer but never to an iPad. I keep getting the "Pairing Unsuccessful" message after I type in the 4 digit code that the iPad tells me to enter on the keyboard. The keyboard gives me the flashing light saying it's ready to pair, but doesn't make the hook-up. The keyboard is just a foot from the iPad. Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 6:01 AM

6 replies

Sep 10, 2012 1:27 PM in response to SlyGuy33

This might help.

Note the following:

The original Apple Wireless Keyboard, introduced in 2003, is not compatible:

Apple Wireless Keyboard (2003): Features a white case and uses four AA batteries.

In addition, many third-party Bluetooth keyboards that use the Apple keyboard layout are also compatible. Check with the keyboard manufacturer for additional information.

Sep 10, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Brand new Apple wireless keyboard, bought this past Saturday, not paired to anything else. Lights on keyboard seem to work as advertised. Changed batteries, shut off and turned on Bluetoot on iPad2. Shut off and turned iPad2. Even shut off Wifi, all to no avail. As soon as I type in 4 digit code and Enter, it gives me the pairing unsuccessful message. Tried to pair with an iPhone4 and a friend's iPad2, all pairings failed.

Sep 10, 2012 6:33 PM in response to SlyGuy33

This should not be that difficult and it sounds as though the keyboard is simply not working.

I know you wrote the keyboard has never been paired with anything else, but has the iPad ever been paired with another keyboard, perhaps? If so then select the keyboard in Settings > General > Bluetooth and then "forget this device".

If you're unsuccessful take the keyboard and iPad back to an Apple Store and have them figure it out.

Will an Apple wireless keyboard pair with an iPad2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.