Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime only plays iPhone video on left audio channel through Mini DisplayPort / HDMI

Hello,

i just bought a 13" MacBook Air, and i'm absolutely loving it! I'm looking to fix this one little issue, though:

The laptop is hooked up to my AV reciever through a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable. I'm getting great 5.1 sound with all the correct channels and it works wonderfully. However, when i play back videos recorded on the iPhone (mono audio) with QuickTime or Quick Look in Finder, sound only plays on the left speaker. Same with m4a voice memos from the iPhone, which are also mono.

• I tried hooking up earbuds directly to the MacBook to watch these videos, and sound gets spread over both earbuds.
  • With VLC player, i get left and right speakers as well.
  • I went through Audio MIDI setup in OS X, and everything looks like it's set up correctly there.
  • So this only happens when playing mono audio or video through QuickTime or Quick look through the AV receiver. Videos with stereo or 5.1 sound work just as intended, and everything else i tried as well.

Is there a way change this, to use both front left and front right speakers, or maybe just the center speaker (since it's mono anyways)? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

edit: I just tried something else. If i set the HDMI output to stereo in Audio MIDI setup, i get mono audio on both speakers. If i set it to 5.1, it's back to left speaker only for mono videos.

QuickTime-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 6:19 AM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2012 12:24 AM in response to 559

I think it's a Mountain Lion/QuickTime 10.2 bug. I'm having the same issue when I play QuickTime movies with mono audio through my audio interface...getting left channel only. VLC, iMovie, Logic Pro and QuickTime 7 (Pro) are all playing QuickTime movies with mono audio correctly, out left and right. Seems like QuickTime 10.2 is identifying the mono audio as a discrete channel 1 of a multichannel (5.1) setup, rather than a mono track that should be played through channels 1 and 2. In Audio MIDI Setup, when I switch the Multichannel speaker configuration from 5.1 Surround to Stereo, the mono QuickTime plays fine in QT 10.2, out both left and right.

QuickTime only plays iPhone video on left audio channel through Mini DisplayPort / HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.