Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering on my second monitor

I just updated to Mountain Lion and I have screen flickering on my second monitor. How do I get rid of the flickering? It seems to happen when I move a window around, or scroll on that screen.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Dual Apple 20" Cinema Displays

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 7:26 AM

5 replies

Aug 20, 2015 12:42 AM in response to E Mac

Had this on my iMac after updating to Mavericks, first i thought my Thunderbolt to DVI adapter was broken, but that was not the case.

The displays settings for the external Samsung monitor under older OSX used to show resolutions like 1920x1080 and 1600x900. After resetting everything it will query the external monitor and make a fresh table of supported resolutions, and in my case added 1080p and 720p (instead of 1920x1080 and 1280x720). Here are the steps i used (from memory).

Removed all custom colorsync profiles
Like /library/colorsync/profiles/S22B300 as well as from ~/library/colorsync/...

and also others like /system/library/colorsync/... if any.)

Removed /library/preferences/com.apple.windowserver.....

also from ~/library/preferences/byhost/com.apple.windowserver....

Zap PRAM (and choose startup disk)

Restart and hold CMD-ALT-P-R untill second startup chime.

(In case you have a different startup disk than the default one,

after the chime press ALT to choose your startup disk,

and set system-preferences startupdisk after boot.)

regards,

GDmac

Sep 4, 2015 10:58 AM in response to GD_NL

There is no "handshake" in HDMI or DVI. Like VGA, those "Legacy" protocols re-paint the screen with "heartbeat" regularity some 60 to 120 times a second.

HDCP is a protection protocol. Problems with that will give you no picture, period. It is active only at the start of playback. Once initiated successfully, the content will play all the way through without further checking.

Screen flickering on my second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.