Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring itunes library to external hard drive?

My hard drive is almost full! Is it possible to transfer the library to an external hard drive?

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 12:14 PM

1. Close iTunes
  2. Move the entire iTunes folder from <User's Music> to your external drive, e.g. as X:\iTunes where X: is your external drive
  3. Click the icon to launch iTunes
  4. Immediately press and hold down the shift key
  5. Keep holding shift until asked to create or choose a library
  6. If iTunes opens normally close and go back to step 3.
  7. Browse to the iTunes Library.itl file in X:\iTunes.

See also: HT1589: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

tt2

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2012 12:14 PM in response to stokefromsalt lake city

1. Close iTunes
  2. Move the entire iTunes folder from <User's Music> to your external drive, e.g. as X:\iTunes where X: is your external drive
  3. Click the icon to launch iTunes
  4. Immediately press and hold down the shift key
  5. Keep holding shift until asked to create or choose a library
  6. If iTunes opens normally close and go back to step 3.
  7. Browse to the iTunes Library.itl file in X:\iTunes.

See also: HT1589: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

tt2

Sep 5, 2015 8:59 AM in response to turingtest2

I tried to copy my entire iTunes folder from a Windows 7 laptop to a portable hard drive. Then I held down the Shift key while opening iTunes. It would not open...error box says Entry Point not found. Then another error box said iTunes was not installed correctly and to please reinstall iTunes. (This was on laptop.)

I now have iTunes in two locations, but I canot access either one. Please help!

Sep 6, 2015 4:58 PM in response to turingtest2

I downloaded SyncToy, and it is in the process of transferring/backing up my iTunes library to the external hard drive. I needed to get a new printer last night, and now I have printed out your article on split libraries. I may have to reread in the morning when I am rested.

Not sure, either, about repaiing iTunes...but I will tackle that in the morning, also.

thank you again,

Linda

transferring itunes library to external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.