Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to export part of the FCPX Project from timeline

Is it possible to export a selection from the FCPX timeline or do I have to export the entire project and then edit it in another program.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 4:13 PM

14 replies

Sep 12, 2012 9:29 AM in response to andynick

andynick wrote:

Goldfish wrote:

FCP7 was much better for this:

Yes - but you don't mention the billion ways in which FCP X makes FCP 7 totally obsolete.

Andy

I didn't think it was relevant to the thread.

I'm simply encouraging the return of a few features that were left on the cutting room floor - no harm in that.

I O markers and chapter markers are a few of them and routinely a topic of discussion. It's not just me.

For the record I'm a big Fan of FCPX. It has many of the features that I said, for years, should be added to FCP7 - and I took a lot of heat over the years for pointing out the deficiencies in FCP7.

When a new editor comes to the forum and asks "why can't i do this really simple thing" , I think it's better to acknowledge his observation and encourage constructive feedback to Apple rather than implying that he was stupid for knot figuring out a convoluted work-around for something that should exist in the program.

If your post had started with "here's a work around…." rather than " takes seconds…"

and you had finished with "…hopefully we'll see I O markers in a future update…"

Rather than "…Ctrl+Zs to get back to previous state." you never would have heard a peep from me.

I just find the apologist mentality difficult to ignore. No offense intended.

best regards,

g

PS - I also think "totally obsolete" is a bit of a stretch.

Sep 12, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Goldfish

Goldfish wrote:

If your post had started with "here's a work around…." rather than " takes seconds…"

and you had finished with "…hopefully we'll see I O markers in a future update…"

Rather than "…Ctrl+Zs to get back to previous state." you never would have heard a peep from me.

That's fair comment - I should have pointed that out.

PS - I also think "totally obsolete" is a bit of a stretch.

Hmm . . . if I remember the good features of FCP 7 that are not in X - and then think of the fantastic features i X that were not even thought of in 7, I have to disagree with you.

I used legacy FCP from version 3. something - and for me it was never the 'totally stable' app that it's fans trumpet it as these days. To be honest, any application that needs its preferences trashing from time to time, cannot be classed as totally stable - and legacy FCP certainly needed prefs trashing more often than I was comfortable with (so does X).

Andy

Sep 13, 2012 1:05 AM in response to Thomas Whaley

Thomas,

Did you drag the edges of the Compound Clip in to select (and export) just the part that you wanted?

This is my (10 min 17 second) Timeline as a CC.

User uploaded file

This is it reduced to 40 seconds.

User uploaded file

Cmd+E from here exports just the 40 second section - but you MUST remember to hit Shift+Z a couple of times to get back to the project.

Granted, it's a workaround and there are several ways to do this but I much prefer this method to creating a new Project and then deleting it.

Andy

Sep 13, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Anne Monbaron

Transferring to compressor is a much larger PITA than any of the options given including using FCP7.

That would take about an hour. the copy & paste into a new project worked for me.

FCPX is in its infancy and I can see about 500 ways it can be improved. Hopefully somebody is listening.

I'm not yearning for how we used to do it because I never did it before,. I found out that IMovie was too limited especially in handling of extra audio files, so I tried Final Cut Express.

After three weeks of perusing books and practicing edits on Express, I ran into a snag on that. That's when I found out that Express had been "end of lifed" and I returned it and got FCPX. I don't even remember even the most basic commands from Express and I am a lot hap[pier for it.

Is it possible to export part of the FCPX Project from timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.