Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8 server on Xserver Early 2009 - working for you?

Has anyone got this to work? I install 10.6.8 then upgrade to 10.8, with only web and dns running. And that's the last I see of the server until I physically log in at the keyboard. The system requirements say it's covered.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 5:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 11, 2012 4:47 AM in response to pkmusic

So what is not working? Remote Access? Keep in mind that 10.8 will not activate ARD on installation. And also note that installing 10.8 on top of 10.6.8 Server does not give you server. You must then login to App Store and download the Server.app. Then run Server.app one time to complete the setup assistant/migration manager. This will make your server a server once again.

Keep in mind that Apple did not provide any lights out management features nor do you have access to all the sensors in the Xserve. So if you need these features, 10.8 is not for you.

Sep 12, 2012 12:49 AM in response to Strontium90

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was aware of the points that you mentioned. What I discovered is that a clean install of 10.8 does not work on this server. So I then read the Apple tech note; and once I had installed 10.6.8 and then upgraded to 10.8, I could login and turn ssh on - vnc was (obviously) ok. The problem I had previously was after doing a clean install of 10.8; the 10.8.1 update killed all vnc. I can only guess there are driver files required for the Xserver from 10.6.8. Anyway, it seems to be running fine. I have enabled PHP and installed mysql. Pleased to see that the 10.8 version of PHP has the required image libraries I need, so it's looking good to proceed as a web server. I don't need LOM, but I do need VNC or ssh . . . Thanks again.

10.8 server on Xserver Early 2009 - working for you?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.