Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone not activating after tried to update ios 4.1 to 5.1 help me please........:(

hello guys here i have problem with my iphone 3gs.

i tried to update ios 4.0 to 5.1.but unfortunately it does not updated on my iphone after that i tried to keep my original 4.1 ios but itunes saying "sim card not inserted please insert sim and connect back".

here i stopped,please help me how to get back my iphone to normal.

thanking you

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.1, please help me

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 5:58 PM

If your phone was hacked or jailbroken to unlock it you have just killed it by attempting to update it. If this is not the case please provide more information on the error message and error number you see when you try to update it.

You cannot downgrade iOS once you have upgraded it or attempted to upgrade it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2012 5:58 PM in response to anilanil123

If your phone was hacked or jailbroken to unlock it you have just killed it by attempting to update it. If this is not the case please provide more information on the error message and error number you see when you try to update it.

You cannot downgrade iOS once you have upgraded it or attempted to upgrade it.

Sep 11, 2012 2:38 AM in response to anilanil123

Iti is possible that you iphone cannot read SIM cards any longer or that the SIM is too old for the new iOS.

Have your SIM replaced and try restoring the iPhone again via iTunes.

There are quite some iphones, that had been jailbroken or had an unstable SIM connectivity and after the update this damage becomes appearant by the SIM not being read any longer.

Apple even replaced these phones for some time until it became clear, that it was not the iOS, but the previous jailbreak or pre-existsing hardware issues causing this.

Sep 12, 2012 4:37 PM in response to Recon21288

Cont: after posting the page refreshed with info. Thank you.

Now was the phone jail broken or unofficially unlocked by a 3rd party other than Your carrier?

What carrier are you using / what was it originally?

Have you a spare sim of the same carrier to test with? If not get one.

Have you tried doing a forced recovery restore to see if that helps?

Forced recovery:

Turn phone off and disconnect from pc/mac

Hold down home button

While holding down plug into computer and hold until connect to itunes appears on phone

Restore as per itunes instructions.

Note: all data will be deleted so i hope you have backups.

Sep 22, 2012 6:53 AM in response to anilanil123

Thank you for your Kind Information.

Now was the phone jail broken or unofficially unlocked by a 3rd party other than Your carrier?

Yes it is.

What carrier are you using / what was it originally?

tesco o2

(with out sim)The iphone "iphone"could not be restored.An unknown error occurred(21).

with o2 sim i tried forced recovery it is saying again An unknown error 21.

with o2 sim i tried normally it saying sim card not installed.

Please help me on this ,if i go to apple store they can help me,or any other way ,thank you

Sep 22, 2012 7:51 AM in response to anilanil123

If the phone was jailbroken or hacked to unlock it the baseband was probably changed to an iPad baseband. This is detected during the update as a firmware mismatch. There is no solution for jailbreak problems that can be discussed in an Apple-hosted forum; Google is your friend.

See this for error 21 - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error21 - although, it may be a bogus error code because the phone has been hacked.

iphone not activating after tried to update ios 4.1 to 5.1 help me please........:(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.