Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air won't connect to Internet

This may not be an apple issue, but I thought I would start here. My cousin bought a new Macbook Air today, and could not get it to connect to the internet. Internet is from Cox, and has a Motorola SB5120 cable modem. He is a summary of what I tried at her house:

1) Plugged in my 15" MacBook Pro 2010 10.8.1 system directly into the Cable modem - works fine.

2) Plugged in her new MacBook Air 10.8 system directly into the Cable modem - does not find internet or DNS servers from Cox.

3) Plugged in a new Airport Express directly into the Cable modem - does not find internet or DNS servers from Cox.

4) Plugged in an older MacBook 13" 10.5 system directly into the Cable modem - does not find internet or DNS servers from Cox.

I took the new MacBook Air home to my house, and of course it works fine. I have Cox also. I'd say it seems like a problem with the Cox modem, but then why does my 15" MacBook Pro work fine? I've rebooted all systems and the Cable modem multiple times. Is there something to check on the cable modem, or should I call Cox and complain?

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 10:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:53 AM

Make sure the client device is configured to get an address from DHCP. Turn off the modem. Connect the device. Turn on the modem. If that doesn't work, call the ISP.

1 reply

Macbook Air won't connect to Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.