Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto can't find server volume after migration to new iMac with 2 HDs

Hi all,

I recently moved to a new iMac from an older Mac Pro. The new iMac has 2 hard drives (256GB SSD & 2TB HD) with all the programs installed on the SSD and the HD is used as the main file storage drive. iPhoto is installed on the SDD and its library of pictures are on the HD. My latest photo imports are working fine but the older pictures can't be properly opened, I get the following warning everytime I double click on a thumbnail:

User uploaded file

Clicking on "Cancel" gets the following responce:

User uploaded file

When I look at the info of the premigration thumbnails it says the pictures are located on the correct HD. The new pictures also show them as being in the same location but I'm having no problem opening the post migration pictures.

I'm thinking about trying out Aperature but want to get this linking problem sorted out first.

Any ideas how I should go about relinking "thousands" of pictures..?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Every option available..!!

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 2:24 AM

9 replies

Sep 11, 2012 4:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

No..? Strange, they're png, I'm seeing them fine in Safari on my iMac.

Anyway the first one says "The volume for "XYZ.jpg " can not be found. Insert the disk or connect to the server volume and wait for it appear on the desktop, then try again." The second picture is just of an explanation point in a caution sign.

By the way I have also done the Command/Option while starting iPhoto and tried every repair option with no luck.

Sep 11, 2012 5:08 AM in response to imacpaul

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Sep 11, 2012 5:19 AM in response to Yer_Man

There is a genius amongst us..!!

You're right, I'm guessing some half dozen years ago when I first started using iPhoto I had set it up as a Referenced Library. Flash forward several migrations and new versions of iPhoto and it's still referencing the library. Well cr@p.. now to switch to a Managed Library do I need to delete all of those referenced thumbnails and re-import all of the pictures..? (I still have all of them in folders on the HD).

Sep 11, 2012 6:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

When I did my last migration (to the iMac) OS X only gave me the option to move all my applications and files to one specific drive. I wanted the apps on the SSD drive and everything else on the large 2T HD so I had to manual move everything there. When I first started iPhoto I pointed it at the 2T HD and all seemed well but I hadn't realize older thumbnails weren't properly linked to the originals.

iPhoto can't find server volume after migration to new iMac with 2 HDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.