Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP slowing down and shutting down and restarting from error

Since the last update to 10.8.1 I have been sending error reports to Apple about every other day. For some reason, my 15" MPB w/R display, seems to be shutting down and restarting slower, but more importantly I get a bright white screen and then grey with a general message that your computer had to restart because of an error.

This was one of three models at launch in Juthe first model so it came with Lion, upgraded to Mnt. Lioin, then 10.8.1 but I am puzzled.

I also noticed since having to do a time machine reset about a week ago, I have been getting graphics corruption in particular when the dedicated video card kicks in with video games. I get screen tearing, flickering. This symtom isn't quite a dependable to reproduce as the shutdown and restart general error screen. I am perplexed since I have only used about 60 GB of the 256 GB harddrive so I don't have many apps, or much on their other than a game, and a few documents and office 2011.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

Oh, in addition to the numberous posts about system freezes and hard restarts I too have had that happen slowly at first and now about every other 4 days or so. I believe it is the same issue they had with the AMD dedicated video cards. There just isn't enough ventilation esp. with the new slim design. What is the number one rule when building a computer, ventilation/cooling and PSU. Add a brand new Intel I7 IvyBride, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M PCIe GPU with over a gig of ram into that slim fram with ventilation at the bottom of the screen in a sealed aluminum box...it's going to get hot. I need to testing software installed and see what the CPU is heating up to, my 2011 model was running at 105-110 celcius underload. That is your lockup and hardstarts=HEAT. Eventually any Mac or PC will eventually spiral down hill and burn up if you game on them or are running highly graphics intensive CAD software. I sure also wish I got 16 Gigs of RAM, since we can't upgrade anything.

Generally a bit disappointed with this machine, Thank god I got Applecare for this thing...one thing goes wrong out of warrenty and you would be hurting.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion, Awesome powerful and beautiful MBP

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 5:30 AM

There are no replies.

MBP slowing down and shutting down and restarting from error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.