Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot clear "Other" memory use. Any help?

I cannot get my iPad to stop showing over 11GB of Other memory in use, after numerous attempts to fix the matter.

i have posted this as a reply to a couple of the other "Other" memory use clearance questions:

"Initially, I was informed that I had ~7GB of Other and 4.3GB of photos. After deleting all photos on the iPad, I was down to 0GB photos, but Other jumped to over 11GB.

Subsequently, I have done a full restore, after substantial difficulty generating a backup that didn't report that it was corrupt or incompatible with the iPad that generated it in the first place. I had to delete, and then redelete (from iTunes), and then once again delete (this itme from the file system in the MobileSync/Backups folder), all of my existing backups, the last one after unsynching all of the video on the device, before i got a backup made from scratch that didn't trigger the error message when i tried to restore from backup via iTunes.

On the initial restore (prior to completely wiping the ipad back to factory settings), the Other usage dropped from 11.1 GB to 9.2GB. I restored to factory settings, and restored from backup. Once again, Other was back up over 9GB. I deleted a couple of Apps whose usage was showing far higher in system preferences than the amount that appeared to be in use inside of the apps. Still no change to Other use.

Concurrent to all of this, I have tried many of the "hold down the power button" resets, none of which ever changed a thing wrt the Other use. I still have 11GB in use as of this writing.

Any help? Am I going to have to restore ALL of my settings by hand from a completely wiped iPad (which, at this point, would have taken less time than I've spent dicking around with the various attempts to restore from backups)?

Thanks,

=mjb"

FWIW, I have 1.1 GB of Other on my iPhone 4, with the same email accounts and calendars in use (fewer actually) so I don't think that's where the use is coming from. I have had a number of crashes of apps using large video data files outside of the usual camera role or video app storage and i assumed that some of those were responsible.

Would going through the backup directory manually and trimming out any suspicious large files that don't seem to correspond with actual videos be a reasonable strategy to take? Would that just corrupt the backup further?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 7:01 AM

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

One way to force Other to be recalculated is to connect the iPad to your computer with the USB cable. Open iTunes to the Summary pane. Reset the iPad by pressing and holding the Home and Power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears. You will need to quit and reopen iTunes to see the recalculated Other.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2012 7:01 AM in response to Mike Brutvan

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

One way to force Other to be recalculated is to connect the iPad to your computer with the USB cable. Open iTunes to the Summary pane. Reset the iPad by pressing and holding the Home and Power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears. You will need to quit and reopen iTunes to see the recalculated Other.

Sep 11, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Mike Brutvan

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Sep 16, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Mike Brutvan

i have done a complete wipe/restore and held off doing the restore from backups -- there were still over 9
GB of files on the iPad -- this seems to be leftover garbage from some earlier app crashes -- 4.3 GB lists as Photos some time, and other times it jus reverts to Other

is there any way to COMPLETELY wipe the memory of an iPad and start from scratch?

Dec 4, 2012 1:10 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hello, I took the time to sum all the data that was taken by the apps and the files related to the apps (like maps in a GPS app or documents in Quick Office). The total is equal to the field "Apps" in the scale of usage. So what you are saying is not related nor reflected in the "other" field. At the same time, withouth changing anything, only synchronizing a couple of songs, my "other" jumped from 400 MB to 2,8 GB.
Regards,

Dec 4, 2012 1:19 AM in response to Mike Brutvan

Hello Mike. Try the following. Make sure that your phone is not linked to iTunes via USB or wifi. That means eject it from iTunes.
Then in your phone go to Settings/General/Usage. Click on "music". This will take you to another windows where you will only see "music". Sweep from left to right to erase the music and click on delete. After you do that it will take you to the previous page. There, hold the sleep button until the power off switch appears and turn the iphone off. Turn it back on and connect it to iTunes via USB (I guess wifi should work too). Sync it again and see what happens.
That works for me. I've eliminated like 5 times most of the "other" space.
It appears again whenever a sync is interrupted. So make sure to eject the iPhone, iPad, etc from iTunes, before you disconnect it. Recently I didn't and my "other" jumped from 400 MB to 2.7 GB because of that.

I guess doing the same with other apps might free even more space from "other" but I haven't checked yet.

Regards,

Lucky

Feb 25, 2013 8:16 AM in response to susanfromaurora

Susanfromaurora, I am glad to hear it worked. Anyways I would like to warn you that after doing it, I started having some problems with the music. Some songs would not be recognized, would be skiped or one song would play, but the name and cover would correspond to another song. If this happens to you, make a back up and restore your iDevice.
Regards,

Lucky

Jan 29, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Mike Brutvan

Hi all,

Re: "Other" showing an unreasonably high storage figure.

I had this problem for a couple of weeks and I tried most of the suggestions in these forums. NOTHING worked.
I read all the tips and hints I could. Then I tried this.
(I'm not a tech but I am comfortable with technical concepts)

In my IPAD 2 (I don't know if this will work for others but it's safe to try and doesn't require hard reboots or restores)
NB: I was not worried about any musical artwork when I tried this - I just wanted my space back
In Itunes / go to Music tab / select all (command A for mac users) (with all music highlighted) right click / choose get info
… in the bottom right hand corner of the "multiple item information" box, you should see a square box for artwork
Make sure this is empty then…...
tick the small box next to artwork / select OK
This should remove all artwork from your music files and clear up "other"

Mine went from 10GB of "Other" back to a more reasonable 2GB

Hope this helps someone

L

I cannot clear "Other" memory use. Any help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.