Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon ScanGear MX890 series not installing scanner drivers under 10.6.8.

The installation softward runs, but there's nothing in System>Library>Image Capture>TWAIN Data sources afterwards.

The Canon Pixma 892 multifunction is fine for printing, and I can scan from Preview. However, I'd prefer to use the MP Navigator EX software, which requires the drivers.

Called Canon, which said it's an Apple problem. Sigh. Did suggest repairing preferences, which caught a bunch of things, but no change in results.

Not sure if it matters, but I previously had a Pixma 780. Have tried to remove related files, but may not have gotten them all.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:02 AM

3 replies

Sep 16, 2012 1:18 AM in response to cgins

Having the MP780 installed previously will not be the cause of the ds file missing. It should install regardless so I believe it would be related to a fault with the driver installer. If you open Console and select the Install.log file, there may be entries for the scanner driver installation and an indication why it did not install the ds file.

Also, did you use the driver included on the CD that came with the machine or get if from the Canon web site. If the former, then download the driver from Canon and run that.

Nov 14, 2012 9:05 PM in response to cgins

Well, I after reading about both of the proposed solutions and trying a few things, I took the sage advice of my past business partner, "If you don't like the answer you get from customer service, call again and talk to someone else."

So that's what I did with Canon. The first person was wrong. There was nothing wrong with the system nor a need to call Apple. Somewhere in on of the scanner set-up steps there was a need to specify that the scanner had a wireless connection.

Sorry to bother folks here and that I didn't make better use of your good ideas.

Thanks!

Canon ScanGear MX890 series not installing scanner drivers under 10.6.8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.