Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iphone, any suggestion?

My iPhone is stolen - would appreciate suggestion.

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 2:20 PM

9 replies

Sep 11, 2012 2:40 PM in response to smcclint69

Report to police, your carrier & Insurance company. Change all of your passwords, especially email & Apple ID. Unless Find My Phone was turned on/activated BEFORE your phone was stolen, there is no way to track it.

Apple does not flag or track lost/stolen Apple products, nor will any carrier track lost/stolen phones without a court order. However, some carriers blacklist lost/stolen phones...so report to your carrier.

Sep 11, 2012 2:43 PM in response to smcclint69

If you have the Find my iPhone app, you can get onto any computer, go to iCloud.com, enter your apple ID and password and it should tell you the location of the phone. You need to file a police report and then let them know you have the location of the phone so they can retrieve it. If you don't file a police report, the police won't do anything. If you don't want to contact the police you can go to the location and simply ask for your phone back, but I doubt the person who took it would give it back, and without a police report, the police cannot get the phone.

If it was just someone randomly taking it, the Find my iPhone app is usually successful in finding the phone. But if it's someone who always steals phones, they're most likely going to know to either turn off the phone or disable iCloud on the phone, in that case there's pretty much nothing you can do. Same thing can be said if you never installed and set up Find my iPhone on your phone.

Some insurance for phones cover stolen phones, or you have to pay a deductible, so you can call your service provider and see if you have that coverage.

Sorry about your phone, its an awful feeling :/ Best bet would be to file a police report right away, you may get lucky and they find it. If not, the new one is coming out this month so it's an excuse to buy a new phone 🙂

Sep 11, 2012 3:20 PM in response to smcclint69

Well did you have the Find my iPhone app? If you did you can wipe all the data from the phone from iCloud.com. If you have recently backed up your iphone on your computer and/or iCloud, you can definitely sync a new phone with all the data from the last backup you did. You would just have to plug your new phone in and just click sync. It's pretty simple.

If you had a passcode on your phone, the data on your phone should be safe because the person will have to reset the device to be able to use it which in turn will erase all previous data. If not, then you should think about changing your passwords to all your email accounts and bank accounts and whatever you used on your phone.

If you have a pretty recent backup on either your iTunes or iCloud then you're pretty much good to go if you get a new device. If you never backed it up then unfortunately you would have to start from scratch.

Stolen iphone, any suggestion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.