Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downgrading osx leopard over osx lion

Hello, just bought a used MacBook pro (2006 model) , it came with lion installed. Problem is I have over $2000 worth of software that I need for work and I quickly discovered the problem with lion and powerPC apps. Anyway I have my original leopard install disk so figured I'd just downgrade as I know it's compatible with the macbook it's self. I was going to keep lion for future use but when I boot from my leopard CD and try to install I get a "cannot install 10.5.5 on this mac" ...now I'm assuming that there is just a compatibility issue with lion and leopard, but I wanted to make sure that was what is going on here or if I may have another issue I need to address before I proceed. If it is safe to just do a clean restore I'm fine with that!

Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro, lion installed , want to down grade

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 2:42 PM

15 replies

Sep 11, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Didims

You need to first erase ALL of the partitions on the computer...the recovery partition & the OS X partition. Reboot while holdind down the "C" key...I'm assuming this is a retail Leopard disk, correct?...use disk utility, navigate to the partition tab & select "1" partition, hit apply. Then go to the erase tab & select Extended Journaled with a single GUID partition. Quit disk utility & you should be able to install.

Sep 11, 2012 3:10 PM in response to Didims

Didims wrote:

nope, this model of macbook came from apple with tiger so leopard should work no prob...plus I have an old powerPC tower thats older then the macbook running snow leopard no problem. thanks for trying to help though:)

If you have a Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD then install that. Honestly the person that sold you that Mac, or gave it to you, did so with Pirated software on it. Lion should not of been installed on it.

To install any other version of OS X , Leopard, Snow Leopard, you first have to use Disk Utiltiy and Repartition the drive to get rid of the Lion Recovery HD partition. Then once that is done you will be able to install either Leopard or Snow Leopard. If the Leopard disk you have came from another Mac of a different model/type then it will not install on your Mac. Those original system disks only work on the same models they came with. So you will need to use your Snow Leopard Upgrade disk to get an older version of OS X on that system. Or you can call Apple and order Replacement DVDs for that model.

Sep 11, 2012 4:06 PM in response to wjosten

Thanks for the helpful advice! just to help simplify and avoid redundancy I should let you know I'm not a newb I'm very well versed in mac (just a newb with lion) been out of the loop for a wee bit and trying to catch up ...so I know all the basic procedures and protocols i.e. how to install a new system from a boot disk, haw to wipe a HD and do a clean install (restore) ect.....all I wanted to know was if the message I got was to be expected when trying to install leopard onto a disk that already has lion installed? from what I've read about the structure of lion it is so vastly different from what has come before that is it totally unfriendly to it's predecessors. As for the install disks being model specific...when did this start? I never had a problem switching around with panther or tiger...?

Sep 11, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Didims

Was the Leopard disc you are using from that Mac or the same model as that Mac? If not that is why you got that message.

The discs that come with Mac's are for that model only and can not be used on a different model.

But an Upgrade DVD will work on any model as it is meant to upgrade all model Macs.

EDIT:

As to the Model specific stuff all I know is what I've read. My time with Mac's and OS X is limited to Snow Leopard on my first Mac which I returned 5 days after getting it. Then Lion with my second that I returned 12 days after getting it and Lion again and now Mt Lion on my third Mac that I kept.

So I have read many posts about the Model Specific builds of OS X. The Grey discs that came with older Mac's. But never had any hands on experience with them.

Sep 11, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Shootist007

Thanks thats very helpful! I've been a mac head since 1994 with my first being an LC630 ... it's 250 mb HD was High livin back then lol. I have 2 sets of leopard install disks one came with an iMac the other a 2006 2 ghz 13" macbook ,so it's the same model year but my new one is a 2.33 ghz 15" pro...not sure if thats close enough...? anyway hopfully I can get it figured out if not can always go way back to tiger in the mean time as I have disks for that and I know they work on any model. Thanks again 😉

Sep 11, 2012 7:40 PM in response to Didims

"I have the snow leopard disk but it was installed when I picked up the Mac (it's running on an old G5 dual 1.8 ghz tower)"

How is that possible? SL can only run on an intel Mac. Your purchased 2006 MBP came with Tiger 10.4 installed originally. Leopard came out in 2007 and SL came out in 2009. If you use a retail version of Leopard or Snow Leopard you should not have problem installing either other than hard drive space and ram limitations.

Sep 11, 2012 8:16 PM in response to sig

Thanks! ram and HD space are not an issue as I've upgraded. re: snow leopard on my tower, couldn't answer your question without some investigation ,as I said it was installed when I got it, all I know is it is running snow leopard...thought it was only leopard when I got it but nope , checked the system profiler and it is indeed snow leopard.

downgrading osx leopard over osx lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.