Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what amplifier to use on an iMac to power 5.1 speakers?

iMac

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 4:07 PM

6 replies

Sep 11, 2012 4:58 PM in response to den.thed

I am flexible, but found the Klipsch below well priced.

per a previous posting: "What amplifier, speaker, other do I need to connect my iMac to a 5.1 speakers?

The iMac is the TV, home theater, sound system, ... of the family. All I have is the iMac right now, but I saw decent 5.1 speakers from Klipsh and I am now wondering what amplifier or any other component I might need.

Klipsch HD Theater 1000 5.1-channel Home Theater Speaker System

I am getting confused with the evolving standards. I also would like to stay within the $500-600 range.

Guidance much appreciated."

Thank you!

Sep 12, 2012 5:31 PM in response to seeker101

Those 2 were just examples of self-contained 5.1 Speaker Systems.

The Logitech system for example supports optical digital input, which means that you could use a Toslink cable between the Mac's audio output and speaker system.

Amazon.com: HOSA TOSLINK to mini-Toslink FIBER-OPTIC CABLE, 10 ft.: Electronics

NewerTech CBLAOPTMT Toslink to Mini Toslink Optical... in stock at OWC

No, check the spec's, many of the self-contained Speaker Systems like the Logitech are 500 watt surround sound systems.

Jul 2, 2015 9:01 PM in response to seeker101

I have the same question as seeker 101 and i don't think anyone has been able to answer the real question:

What amplifier should I use to drive external unpowered direct connected speakers from my iMac. I want to drive a large high end JBL 3 speaker unit system.

And a bigger question is how does one connect it all up especially the iMac interface.

Many thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.