Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP Authentication Changes in Mountain Lion??

Here is the senario. I have a mac mini server (running regular ML) which houses my iTunes Library. I have two other macs which access their own library files on the mini via file sharing using the same admin user authentication. This has worked well up until I upgraded to ML when I started receiveing the following error:

"file server will not allow any additional users to log on"

I never had this issue before upgrading.

I have checked the com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist file for the maxConnections and maxGuests keys both are set to 10. I have tried reboots without much luck. Meaning it might work initially, but eventually either my computer or my wife's will get booted off. I had thought of creating two adim users apart form the main server user, but the problem is the permission on the itunes folder that contains all the data is set to the server user, and I don't want to screw up the permission.

Should I concede and buy ML server, or is this overkill for my situation. I should mention I also do TM backups form all the computers to a Drobo which is connected to the MacMini.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:52 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2012 10:39 AM in response to TheDude

Same here. I posted a similar question without response, so it must be unusual. Typically the more regular posters with offer ideas.

I have an iMac which my othe rmacs back up to a drive attached to it, they are all erroring for time machine and trying to connect for sharing tells me to many user connected and try again later. No one else is connected. Rebooting the iMac does nto help and its utterly random, the next day it might work perfectly for two days then suddenly go wrong again.

Jan 22, 2013 2:51 PM in response to cabeandsuz

I have this problem too. I only connect to my Mac Mini via a single Macbook Air but still get this error regularly and have to disable file sharing on the MM and re-enable it to allow the connection again. The solution of upgrading to ML server is ridiculous - it may be a solution but there must be fix that doesn't involve buying a new OS - this functionality is a standard part of ML.

AFP Authentication Changes in Mountain Lion??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.