Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to open documents

I recently got a new Mac Mini with Mountain Lion and I was putting iWork on it from my disc set I got with Snow Leopard box set.

I have successfully installed it and the 9.2 update but none of the programs Pages, Numbers or Keynote can open anything.

I can't even start a new document.

I have tried to right click -> Open; Drag and drop the file onto the application, open from Pages menu.

I can quick look and see the document but I obviously want the ability to edit them.

I have tried this with both iCloud and non-iCloud documents.

I even had a .doc that I tried to open to no avail.

I re-installed as well. It just does nothing or says, "The document name.pages can not be opened" or with the extension .pages-tef which I am assuming is the iCloud version of the document.

Can anybody help me?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 4:50 PM

13 replies

Sep 11, 2012 5:45 PM in response to thecarlyjean

You definitely need to use Disk Utility to repair permissions after installing the 9.2 update. For some reason, the iWork 9.2 apps are very sensitive to this. Also, restarting the Mac sometimes helps. This is just one of those situations that no one has really has figured out & just make the usual troubleshooting suggestions.

User uploaded file

Sep 12, 2012 9:17 AM in response to kms_0707

Since you are not the OP (original poster) in this thread & you don't have any details about your Mac, it's very difficult to even know where to start. To keep things from getting even more confusing, I suggest you start a new thread wiith your question & make sure your profile info is up-to-date & is listed.

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2012 11:02 AM in response to thecarlyjean

Hi all,

So I am having this issue too, and it's extremely annoying. Like the OP, I bought the Mac Box Set for Snow Leopard, which came with iLife and iWork '09.

I tried all the regular stuff...deleting the apps and all preferences associated with iWork, reinstalling from the original disc, and then applying the update again. First tried the update the Mac App Store gives me, and then found and downloaded the standalone updater on Apple's support site--which, I should mention, Apple recommends if you installed iWork from a physical disc.

So I just wanted to let everyone know, I contacted Apple Support about this issue (via the Mac App Store support email form), explained my issue, and asked for download codes for all the MAS versions of the iWork apps. I believe this would fix the issue, as everyone having the problem seems to have originally gotten iWork as a boxed copy. I'll update when Apple responds--I believe I should be entitled to free downloads for the MAS versions of iWork if they can't get it to work. I'll keep you guys posted!

Adam

P.S. Haven't tried repairing permissions, will try that now just in case, although I can't remember a time in the last 5 years or so when that fixed any problem I've ever had.

Update: Just tried repairing permissions, it did nothing. Another thing I should mention: before Mountain Lion, I hadn't attempted to use any iWork app in a long time, as I wasn't in school currently and didn't really have a reason to use it over the simple TextEdit. So the version I had was probably quite old, and was never updated after the Mac App Store was released, which I assume is the reason I'm having the update issues. And when I install them straight from the disc before attempting the 9.2 updater, the app just quits immediately giving an error that it can't be opened and to reinstall.

Oct 1, 2012 11:05 AM in response to ABassCube

Update #2: Sorry for all these updates, but just thought I'd mention this: I just got a response from someone on the Mac App Store Support team (wow that was FAST!) Apparently the reason it was so fast though, is he says he cannot help me, and it doesn't seem like he even read the whole message. He just advises me to contact the iWork support team, go through ExpressLane, and probably speak to someone over the phone. So I'm off to try that, I'll update if I get it resolved.

Oct 2, 2012 4:22 PM in response to ABassCube

Alright, so I also posted this in another, more recent, thread I found about the same issue, but just in case I thought I'd post it here too:

After speaking to Apple support for awhile, I got the definitive solution. It worked perfectly for me, and the guy said he was 99% sure it was going to work...sounded like he had experienced the issue himself and already used this solution for others.

So here it is: you have to delete a folder in the MAIN Library folder (the one on the first level of your main Mac HD, not the Library folder in your user folder, which is what I was doing before.) In that folder, you go to Application Support, and you see a folder for iWork '09. Just delete that, and then delete the iWork apps from your Applications folder, reinstall from the disc, and immediately do the iWork 9.2 update--I suggest the standalone update you can find on support.apple.com just to be safe. After doing that, it worked flawlessly. I should say that the Apple support guy also suggested to go into Preferences (again, in the main Library folder), and delete any iWork plists in there--the only one that was in there for me was an install plist, though, and I'm pretty sure it was the folder in Application Support that did it. He also said to restart my Mac after deleting those folders, before doing the original install again.

Hope this helps people here! 🙂

Feb 8, 2013 2:54 AM in response to thecarlyjean

I have a very similar problem, last week I created a .pages document, saved it etc. I can see it in finder and get a thumbnail, I can press space bar and get a quick look, but when I try and open it in ay way no document appears, Pages opens but no doc and no error messages. Restarted, re-installed but no change.

Using Macbook Pro, OS 10.7.5

unable to open documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.