Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon scanner keeps disconnecting

Hi Folks,

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and trying to connect my Canon Canoscan Lide 500f via Image Capture in order to scan a document. For years this has been effortless and worked a treat. Today however, I connect the scanner to my MacBook Pro, Image Capture recognises it and the application looks like it's about to run a preview scan, but before anything happens on the scanner it seems to drop out, and seemingly tell me that the scanner is no longer connected to the computer.

Everything is up to date as far as I know. Canoscan toolbox doesn't seem to like it either so I'm at a bit of a loose end.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Gary

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:13 AM

Given that Image Capture uses a different driver to CanoScan Toolbox, then it would suggest that the connection between the scanner and the Mac is the cause rather than it being a driver issue.

First thing I would do is open System Profiler (Applications > Utilities) and select the USB entry in the left column. The top right pane will show all the USB busses in the Mac and what devices are connected to them. Do you see the scanner? If no, then check the USB cable and maybe try another cable. If you do see it, then at least the cable is okay and it could be a driver issue.

So here is a link to the LiDE 500F page from Canon. You will see the DelDrv utility and the scanner driver. Run the DelDrv utility to remove the driver and then install the 11.2.5 driver to see if that helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2012 1:13 AM in response to gmullins

Given that Image Capture uses a different driver to CanoScan Toolbox, then it would suggest that the connection between the scanner and the Mac is the cause rather than it being a driver issue.

First thing I would do is open System Profiler (Applications > Utilities) and select the USB entry in the left column. The top right pane will show all the USB busses in the Mac and what devices are connected to them. Do you see the scanner? If no, then check the USB cable and maybe try another cable. If you do see it, then at least the cable is okay and it could be a driver issue.

So here is a link to the LiDE 500F page from Canon. You will see the DelDrv utility and the scanner driver. Run the DelDrv utility to remove the driver and then install the 11.2.5 driver to see if that helps.

Canon scanner keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.