Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 cannot be synced to iMac but appears in devices

Tonight I have been unable to sync my iPad3 with my iMac (iTunes) either by Wi-Fi or using the usb cable.

Initially I got a window saying the iPad cannot be synced as an unknown error occurred (1156) and as result

I've done a complete restore from a backup on the iMac.

The iPad appears in the devices list and you can view the summary, info, music etc. but when ever I select

"apps" i get a popup saying the iPad cannot be found on the network and the iPad disappears from the list of

devices.

Before tonight I have always been able to sync without any problems

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 5:12 AM

I don't know if you tried this already ,... Quit iTunes, reboot the iPad and restart the Mac.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

I run into this issue every now and then and restarting and rebooting always works for me. You may want to even restart your router as well.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2012 5:12 AM in response to ribbo39

I don't know if you tried this already ,... Quit iTunes, reboot the iPad and restart the Mac.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

I run into this issue every now and then and restarting and rebooting always works for me. You may want to even restart your router as well.

Sep 12, 2012 9:13 PM in response to Demo

Many thanks - this seems to have fixed it.

Strange as it may seem, my iPhone 4S also started behaving the same way - it would appear in the Devices list in iTunes but whenever you click on "apps" a window appears "looking for iPhone" and if not found it immediately shuts off and goes from the devices only tp re-appear a few secs. later.

iPad 3 cannot be synced to iMac but appears in devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.