Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fuji X10 Raw Files

Is it posible to find out if Apple intend issuing an update to Aperture 3 to process Raw files from a Fuji X10 camera.

Aperture 3

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 6:04 AM

13 replies

Sep 18, 2012 10:43 PM in response to friday04

You are mistaken, please read my post again.

I did not say that Lightroom, ACR or Photoshop CS56 were unable to read X10 Raw Files.

What I wrote was that ACR, Lightroom and the like are UNABLE TO CONVERT (X10) RAW IMAGES TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL because Fuji have not released the Raw Conversion algorithm.

Even DXO lag behind the X10 in camera raw conversion.

It is noted thet Aperture 3.3.2 is totally unable to read Fuji X10 Raw Files.

If you have the ability, compare X10 Raw Images developed in camera with images developed by Lightroom, you will find that the X10 in camera Raw Conversion images are superior.

Check out the Fuji X10 review by dpreview, also check out the dpreview articles on how to setup the Fuji X10 in order to achieve the best results.

Incidently, I used to use Lightroom to convert my X10 Raw images, until I discovered that the Fuji X10 In-Camera Raw Conversion did a much better job.

iPentax

Sep 18, 2012 10:58 PM in response to iPentax

I don't think any of the people in this thread can challenge your knowledge of what is happening here.

However, I was trying to point out that you can get these photos off of your X10 now through Adobe. Maybe those photos aren't living up to their true potential at this moment, but for those of us that bought into Fuji and the X10, we were frustrated that we couldn't even *SEE* our photos on anything other than the X10.

I was just pointing out to those frustrated few, that you can now get these photos from your camera and see them and they look really great.

Sep 19, 2012 12:33 AM in response to friday04

Herewith some info on Camera settings for the Fuji X10, I find that these recommended settings work superbly.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9060476058/fuji-x10-exr-camera-suggestions-for- optimum-performance

It is interesting to note that Fuji provide the clunky Silkypix software with the X10 for Raw Image Conversion, but again, the converted images are inferior to the X10 In-Camera Raw Conversion.

It is a similar scenario to the Sigma SD14, raw images can be converted using 3rd party Photo Imaging Software, but the output is decidely inferior when compared to Sigma's own Software.

Have fun out there!

iPentax

Oct 15, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Jim TM

While I can get my RAW files off my X10 with Adobe DNG conv, I’m a bit concerned that I’m losing a lot of resolution. What should be full size 12MP images only show as 6MP.

I read elsewhere that this is due to Mac OS (not Aperture etc) failing to see half the pixel output due to the X10’s unique CMOS mosaic layout.

If this is the case it probably explains why Apple don’t support the X10 but do support the X100 with its more standard chip.

Anybody with any knowledge of this, I’m a bit concerned I’ve just spent £300+ on a 6MP camera!

Oct 15, 2012 11:06 PM in response to SteveF61

Yes, you will lose a lot of resolution by using Adobe DNG or any other third party Raw Converter.

For best results, use the in-camera Raw Converter.

I suggest that you read and digest the following:

The dpreview Fuji X10 Review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10/

Extract;

We appreciate in-camera Raw conversion in any camera, but with the X10, this control is absolutely crucial. Why? Because third party support for the X10's raw files is far from universal among the more popular raw converters on the market. And even worse, among the raw converters that do support the EXR sensor, the results are disappointing.

The inevitable downside to a non-standard sensor design is that it requires a different set of demosaicing algorithms for optimum results. In the raw converters we've used - including the SilkyPix version that ships with the camera - image resolution and fine detail are significantly worse than the X10's in-camera JPEGs. The converted Raw files appear very soft and are clearly not displaying the best image quality the sensor can produce. You can see this for yourself on both the Raw mode and studio comparison pages of this review. As it stands, you get significantly better image quality in terms of sharpness and resolution from processing Raw files in-camera than you do with external software.

Try using the X10 settings recommended in this article:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9060476058/fuji-x10-exr-camera-suggestions-for- optimum-performance.

Regards,

iPentax

Oct 16, 2012 5:53 AM in response to iPentax

Hi thanks, I had read the review but missed the section you pointed out. I think such important information should be nearer the top of such a report.

In camera manipulation is far from ideal; small screen, fiddly controls etc. If the software in a camera can do a good job, there's no reason a full featured desk top PC/MAC can't, with properly configured software.

I wonder if Fuji just didn't expect users to use RAW that much. The way they configured the hardware controls to provide a RAW toggle switch suggests to me that they expected people to use the EXR technology as default and only dip into RAW on rare occasions.

So in many ways it really is a 6MP camera, albeit with good DR.

Regards

Steve

Oct 16, 2012 7:12 AM in response to SteveF61

" If the software in a camera can do a good job, there's no reason a full featured desk top PC/MAC can't, with properly configured software."

There is the rub, the Fuji Raw Conversion Algorithm, at present, both DxO and Adobe have not been able to come up with a Raw Conversion Algorithm to improve upon Fuji's let alone even match it!

Regards,

iPentax

Fuji X10 Raw Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.