Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

question for the very experienced iphone 4 users

will you be upgrading to iOS6? why or why not? also do you have any insight into what exactly they mean by the maps app not allowing turn by turn navigation on the iphone 4? what i'm asking is right now with the google map it will certainly show me and tell my with text how to get from point A to point B, although not with voice. will iOS6 maps not even do that? thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhone 4 iOS 5.1

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 1:08 PM

6 replies

Sep 12, 2012 2:38 PM in response to iinami

I plan on updating my iPhone 4S to iOS 6 but I am going to wait a couple of weeks and wait for the initial Oh-my-gosh-iOS-6-trashed-my-phone-and-killed-my-battery-life-erased-all-my-musi c-and-ruined-my-marriage posts to die down.

The maps app will still give directions on the iPhone 4 it simply wont give you audible turn by turn instructions voice by Siri. The directions will be text based like they are now. Apparently the processor in the iPhone 4 isn't powerful enough to run this feature.

iOS 6 looks really good, but it will have different levels of what it can do based on the hardware it is installed on. If I remember correctly all the bells and whistles will be available on the 5 and 4S, things like the turn by turn directions won't be available on the 4 and probably the other Siri functions that the newer phones are getting. The 3GS will load iOS 6 but my guess is that it will run kind of slow, the same way the 3G did when you loaded iOS 4.x on it or even tried to load up 5.x. The hardware just isn't sufficient to run the software. This is why Apple will stop supporting the 3GS now. Keeping up with 3 different hardware platforms is tough enough, I can't imagine trying to keep the current software running on old hardware.

Sep 12, 2012 2:42 PM in response to iinami

in case anyone is confused and thinks this is a poll or a survey, that is not my intention at all: can anyone provide advice on downloading the new operating system onto an iphone 4 and any negative or positive effects of doing so on an iphone 4? also, i'm not understanding from apple's ios6 website if i can use the maps included in ios6 in the same way that i use the currently installed stock iphone 4 maps. does anyone know what turn by turn means in this case? the stock iphone 4 app provided turn by turn directions, they just aren't spoken. thanks for any help from anyone that has answers to the questions.

Sep 12, 2012 2:46 PM in response to iinami

iinami wrote:

can anyone provide advice on downloading the new operating system onto an iphone 4 and any negative or positive effects of doing so on an iphone 4?

Other than to make sure your phone is backed up before you begin, not really. Anyone with firsthand experience is still under a NDA and can't talk about it.

does anyone know what turn by turn means in this case? the stock iphone 4 app provided turn by turn directions, they just aren't spoken

If you look at http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6 you'll see that the turn by turn mapping is much more like a dedicated GPS unit than the old google maps app was.

question for the very experienced iphone 4 users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.