Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv to directv hd receiver on an older tv that does not have hdmi

I'd like to get apple tv so I can watch Netflix in my bedroom. I have an ipad2, directv hd DVR downstairs with internet connect so my DVR communicates with the HD receiver upstairs. I also have an Xbox 360 connected to the HDTV/Directv DVR downstairs. My bedroom has an older TV (not hd) and I have the directv hd receiver hooked up to it. What will I need to do to get apple tv up and running on the older tv in the bedroom?

Apple TV, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:02 PM

You can't connect Apple TV to the directv receiver. It connects to your TV and requires an HDTV and an HDMI port. There is no guarantee anything else will work. Furthermore, you wouldn't be able to watch HDCP content (i.e. iTunes, Netflix) and would have issues with resolution/aspect ratio.

2 replies

Sep 12, 2012 2:26 PM in response to vazandrew

youre right! I tried buying a DVI to HDMI adapter and then using audio cables with apple tv on a 2004 Sony Wega Trinitron that is still working and for a heavy TV works well, but is not true HDMI. Therein lies the problem, like andrew says with aspect ratio. You have to get an HDMI TV for apple tv to work correctly. No back door attempts will work.

apple tv to directv hd receiver on an older tv that does not have hdmi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.