Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 CODECs and Play Back Issues

Good afternoon....

I am using FCP7 and dealing with major problems with CODECs.

Our clients deliver raw video to is in dozens of formats including MP4 ,M4V, WMV, AvidHDnX and

a many different Quicktime formats. We also get a lot of FLV and .TS Files.

I am especially having problems with MP4 videos in Quicktime wrappers.

Right now I am using MPeg Streamclip to convert the video to a format FCP 7 Likes....

In many cases either the Video or Audio needs to be rendered before playback.

I need to find a solution where I can drop, drag and mix different formats and resolution on

a single timeline without using lots of conversion programs or rendering.

Is FCP 7 still my best option. I am not ready to move to Primere or Avid...and need time to learn FCP X

(I realize that we need to convert FLV and .TS for any system)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:21 PM

1 reply

Sep 12, 2012 4:18 PM in response to pacificbluefish

>I need to find a solution where I can drop, drag and mix different formats and resolution on a single timeline without using lots of conversion programs or rendering.

Then you need to look at Adobe Premiere. Because FCP certainly doesn't do that.

>I am not ready to move to Primere or Avid..

Why not? Premiere is the best option for this. If you don't want to use it, then you need to convert all the footage to an FCP friendly codec.

>Right now I am using MPeg Streamclip to convert the video to a format FCP 7 Likes.... In many cases either the Video or Audio needs to be rendered before playback.

Then you are converting to a non-edit friendly codec, and/or the audio isn't being converted properly. If you use the ProRes presets in Compressor, making sure that the dimensions are all broadcast standard dimensions. 720x486 for SD, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for HD. If you use MPEG STREAMCLIP, make sure that you choose ProRes, a proper frame size, and frame rate (footage can't be 10fps, 15fps, 20fps. It must be 23.98, or 29.97...or 25 if you are in Europe). But then you have to worry about mixing frame rates, because FCP doesn't do that well. Premiere does.

Really...Premiere would be the best option for this. And there are settings presets to make all the keyboard commands the same as FCP. And it is more FCP like than anything.

Avid...would be WRONG for this.

FCP7 CODECs and Play Back Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.