Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PCMCIA on PowerMac G4 (OSX 10.4

Basically I want to use my Vodafone 3G PCMCIA card occasionally in my PC. This would enable me to use the internet via my Powermac.

Currently I use this card as you would expect in my PowerBook. This is my only route to the internet as I live in the remote country in Spain.

I have tried connecting the PC to the Powerbook via Airport... no problem. But I then cannot use the internet on the PC. What are my options folks... thanks for your help in anticipation.

Power Mac G4 and PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.5), Airport in Tower. A Express in Book

Posted on Apr 3, 2006 8:51 AM

5 replies

Apr 3, 2006 10:53 AM in response to Alcanara

Alcanara,

As I understand the Vodafone 3G card is a contract to get wireless internet at near broadband speeds to the card from satellite. i've only seen one once, for about 30 minutes while waiting for a plane at Southampton.

I'm not sure how the 3G card works in the PB, I presume it must have a driver that offers more options in the Network Sys Pref. From there you should be able to share your Internet connection over AirPort (or Ethernet).

Then the PC (if it has a wireless card) and the PMG4 should be able to access the net through the PB.

I'm not sure this is the answer you're looking for, let me know where I went wrong.

Apr 3, 2006 11:55 AM in response to Alcanara

have tried connecting the PC to the Powerbook via
Airport... no problem. But I then cannot use the
internet on the PC. What are my options folks...
thanks for your help in anticipation.

This is possible and I have done this myself.

However one issue, it is not possible to secure the created Airport network with a password.

A WEP encrypted software base station can not be connected to from a Windows PC.

Are you using a password on the Airport network?

What IP address does the PC get?
User uploaded file
iFelix

Apr 4, 2006 12:44 PM in response to Alcanara

Thank you folks... Do I set up the airport link first from the PC or the PB.... I have previously set up a link from the PB but I could not get the internet on the PC via the Vodafone card. I felix says he has done this...I do not use encryption as my network is home based at the moment. My main reason for wanting the internet for my PC...is to update all the software on it via "software update" this has not been done since oct 2004... I'm getting pretty desparate.

I will try again with the airport link and then try and get the internet on the PC... but I am a novice really and struggling... thanks again chaps Stuart

PCMCIA on PowerMac G4 (OSX 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.